difference n injury between median nerve at carpal tunnel and recurrent branch of median nerve ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeevee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
recurrent branch damage has no sensory loss is that the only difference ?

Members don't see this ad.

Ya, that and I don't know that you would loose the effects of the 1st and second lumbricals since I thought the recurrent branch only did the thenar muscles I could be off there tho. As a different and slightly related note remember that in damage to the carpal tunnel palmar sensory is spared due to the cutaneous branch that splits before the tunnel and goes over it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

so median nerve damage at carpal tunnel : thenar eminence sensory and motor loss but palmar sensations are intact ( cutaneous branch is spared)
recurrent branch of median nerve only motor loss except 1st and second lumbricals

I also had this sequence but wanted to confirm .
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
so median nerve damage at carpal tunnel : thenar eminence sensory and motor loss but palmar sensations are intact ( cutaneous branch is spared)
recurrent branch of median nerve only motor loss except 1st and second lumbricals

I also had this sequence but wanted to confirm .
Thanks
You don't lose thenar eminence sensation in median nerve damage at the carpal tunnel. The reason it atrophies is because the muscles making up the thenar eminence (abductor/flexor pollicis brevis and opponens pollicis) are deinnervated by median nerve traction at the level of the wrist in carpal tunnel syndrome. The palmar branch of the median nerve still provides sensory innervation to the skin overlying the thenar eminence since it branches off from the median nerve prior to the carpal tunnel.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't lose thenar eminence sensation in median nerve damage at the carpal tunnel. The reason it atrophies is because the muscles making up the thenar eminence (abductor/flexor pollicis brevis and opponens pollicis) are deinnervated by median nerve traction at the level of the wrist in carpal tunnel syndrome. The palmar branch of the median nerve still provides sensory innervation to the skin overlying the thenar eminence since it branches off from the median nerve prior to the carpal tunnel.

Okay I was looking for this .
Can you explain why they say no loss of sensation in the palm in case of carpal tunnel syndrome.It should just say that carpal tunnel syndrome has no sensory loss at all ( palm or thenar eminence ) only motor loss of the thenar eminence .
Anotherway to ask this would be what is the difference between the lesion of recurrent branch of median nerve ( not in carpal tunnel) vs median nerve proper in the carpal tunnel ?

Yup! When is your test zeevee?

Right around the corner my friend :scared::eek:

Can you explain why they say no loss of sensation in the palm in case of carpal tunnel syndrome.It should just say that carpal tunnel syndrome has no sensory loss at all ( palm or thenar eminence ) only motor loss of the thenar eminence .
Anotherway to ask this would be what is the difference between the lesion of recurrent branch of median nerve ( not in carpal tunnel) vs median nerve proper in the carpal tunnel ?

The palmar branch breaks off before the carpal tunnel and overlies the carpal tunnel to provide sensation to the lateral palm. Once through the tunnel, the median branches into recurrent branch (motor to thenar), and palmar digital branches (sensory to palmar surface of lateral 3.5 fingers and fingertips)

Reactions: 1 users

Nice! Judging from your posts I think you'll do fine!!

upload_2016-11-5_20-11-38.png