Differences between conferences and presentations and posters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope2008

Membership Revoked
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the exact differences between conferences and posters and presentations?

Will anyone kindly clearfy the concept for me?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me clarify by example.

I did an NSF REU (National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates) during the summer of 2002. At the end of the summer, I wrote a paper that I submitted to summer program advisors, and I presented my research to the other REU participants orally using an overhead projector.

6 months later, I attended a national conference and I presented a poster of my research.

The national conference schedule was filled with oral/powerpoint presentations usually from PhDs in the field or those about to receive a PhD. PhDs in the field, grad students, and a handful of undergrads had posters displaying their work. The idea was that in between oral presentations conference attendees could go look at the posters. I remember standing by my poster all day 1 day (of the 4 day conference) and answering questions.

A few months later, my advisor published reasearch in a national journal and included my research in his paper. (so I was officially published).

I presented that same poster at my Univeristy's Honors Day.

I did a presentation of my research to a group of incoming Freshman, and to the entire graduate departmant as part of a conference series.

I was honored to hang my poster on a wall of my department for a year.

I hope this helps clarify all the major ways research is presented.

Presentations are more prestigious. If you are asked to do that over a poster, do it. Apply for the presentations. I've had 6 presentations and 0 posters. And no, I don't have a PhD and yes they were all national and/or international conferences.