Differences between IUSM campuses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golf4mbs

golf4mbs
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if there are differences between the curriculum at the IUSM campuses? I've heard some use block scheduling and some don't... its kind if confusing to me and I'd like to know the differences to see if one fit my interests more than others!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the major differences actually boil down to location. Indy is obviously the best choice. Personally I grew up in Terre Haute and it's not the most exciting place but it isn't too bad, especially given the appreciable lack of free time most med students will have. There are worst places to get stuck (Gary?).

Well, indy is boring and the rest are sigbificantly more boring! But I say that with love, lifetime hoosier here!
Posted via Mobile Device

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, I'm applying ED, and if I get in I will most likely be going to Indy, but then i heard they do block scheduling at campuses like South Bend, which sounded kind of interesting... i couldn't find any info on it, but if not I'll just be going to indy as planned haha. If anyone else cares to chime in, or is planning on going to IU let me know!:)

Both South Bend and Muncie have block scheduling. Gary is the only campus that uses PBL. All the other campuses utilize PBL to some extent, but Gary's curriculum is based upon it. The other remaining campuses have more of a traditional lecture format. I think the Indianapolis campus is the only one that has video records of each class available online.

thanks a lot, do you have any idea how block scheduling differs from traditional... i know that is probably a stupid question, but i'm not sure i totally understand:confused:

thanks a lot, do you have any idea how block scheduling differs from traditional... i know that is probably a stupid question, but i'm not sure i totally understand:confused:

In block scheduling, you only focus on one class at a time. With the traditional format, you will have like five subjects to study at once. Many people prefer the block format because they find it much easier to concentrate on one subject at a time.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am working on a project that will help sort out all of this mess. It is a grid with information laid out about each of the campuses (i.e. lecture format, amount of patient contact, niche, etc.). Once it gets finalized (hopefully in the next 3 weeks), it will be put up on various websites (IU's Student Council -- MECA and a few other student organizations) and then given to each accepted student so that he/she can make a better decision regarding which campus will work best.

So if you'll hang tight, I will reply to this thread in a few weeks with a link to the grid which will hopefully be of assistance.

Gary is the only campus that uses PBL

They couldn't pay me to go to school in Gary. That fact has nothing to do with PBL.