Hua,
The residency will not necessarily lead to a professorship. But I was thinking that a more academic, clinical residency; for example, Julie Johnson has her own clinical pharmacy fellwship/residency at UF Shands. It is also can be used as a PhD program specific to clincial pharmacy. Check out:
http://www.cop.ufl.edu/departments/PP/johnson/
The head of the department at the local Walgreens Pharmacy near my parents in south Florida who works with my aunt used to tell me about her program a lot, and what a great researcher she was.
I think that going here, would expose you to pharmacogenomics, and you would have a lot of opportunity to publish. This is an example of how a fellwship/residency could lead to academia, if you have a very strong advisor who you are working under, who has a great publication record and a particularly "hot" research area.
This might be a very good option for you later, and when I considered at one time doing a PharmD (after my undergraduate in statistics) I once considered getting the PharmD from UF and coming to this research centre.
I do not know about the closings. It seemed like in my statistics department all the people who concentrated their research area on biostatistics still all found a job. Some ended up in CRO's, but they still got a job nonetheless (and only one was postdoc at University of Rochester). I am interning this summer at CRO in the local area. Some are very good, some are terrible. So I do not think the pharm research industry has dried up for the statisticians. However, there may be more demand at the smaller companies than the larger companies. The people who concnetrated their research on financial mathematics are having a hard time finding job right now. Maybe the situation is different for chemists/pharmacokineticists? As you know, management is the best area to go into. Eventually go out of research and into management if you do go the industry route. Marketing (although very unstable) and management is where the big money is. I would eventually want to start my own pharmaceutical company / CRO when I have enough knowledge and money to do it.
The retail pharmacist, as you know, is not a high-paying job in China. Hence, if you do not want to do a PhD, and want to target yourself into a faculty position, it would be good to do a residency similar to the link that I gave you, to distinguish yourself through publications. In the PharmD program, YOU WILL NOT DO ANY RESEARCH AT ALL. Especially at Nova, which is just training people to get their licnese and for the NAPLEX/FPGEE. It will be all exams. Nonetheless, see if you can find a professor to do research with over the summer. There used to be a Chinese professor, Xudong Yuan, at NOVA, but he left to go to LIU. However, I think his postdoc (Hao Jinsong) may still be there. Anyway, you can talk to Dr. Lai and see if she can set you up to do some resaerch over the summer, when you are not taking classes. BUT Only when you are NOT taking classes.
Believe me, you will have NO time except to concentrate on classes. You do not want anything to go wrong, especially when you are paying so much money. Your first priority should be the classes. Even if you think they are easy, try for the highest possible score, and not just the minimum grade. That is when you run into trouble.
The PharmD will alone will basically give you the license to get a high-paying retail job here in the USA. But that is all it will do. WIthout anything else (publications or industry experience), basically retail will be your only likely option. However, it is a real safety blanket that you cannot have if you simply did a PhD from a school of pharmacy.