Pharmacy Fellowship - Multiple Functional Areas and PPS Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John T

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Deadline for pharmacy fellowships are finally here and some deadlines are nearing. With that being said, I am in the process of applying to a few programs but had a few questions. Is it looked down upon if I applied for multiple functional areas within a company/program? For example, I am interested in medical affairs and clinical development.

Also, how common is it for applicants to apply to both residency and fellowships? For example, my number 1 goal is fellowships but at the same time I do have an interest in managed care as a number 2. Thank you in advance for all you input and good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Another question is, how is the PPS process at ASHP? Anything to prepare for? I have done my own research but wanted to hear from everyone. Thanks!

Is it looked down upon if I applied for multiple functional areas within a company/program? For example, I am interested in medical affairs and clinical development.
Yes if they are very different functional areas, like Medical and Commercial or Medical and Regulatory. If they are closely related, like Medical Strategy and Medical Affairs - you are probably OK. Med Affairs and Clinical Development are fairly different... on one hand, I could make an argument for why they are similar enough to generate interest in the same person, but to avoid it looking bad, I would choose one or the other. Because even the best, most convincing explanation in the world is worth absolutely zero if you don't get a chance to voice it.

Also, how common is it for applicants to apply to both residency and fellowships?
It happens. Usually fellowships make their selections before residency rankings are submitted, so people who did not get a fellowship have a chance to go for residency. However, it's very uncommon if not impossible to have an equally strong genuine interest in both. They are just too different and prepare you for two very different career tracks.
Another question is, how is the PPS process at ASHP?
No idea what it's like now due to COVID. I hear it's very different from what it used to be in person. I would suggest reaching out to the current fellows to ask what's being planned.