Different grading scale for different undergrad schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kef318

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to Pitt for undergraduate as a biology major. My science gpa and BCP are around a 3.6. My overall GPA is a 3.75.

I'm starting to freak out. I'm a second semester junior, and am worried about my gpa taking anymore of a hit. I haven't gotten less than a B in any of my classes.

Do DS admissions take into account the grading scale? For example, to get an A in a class at Pitt, I need a 94. Other schools an A is only a 90.

Is this ever a consideration?

Members don't see this ad.

I go to Pitt for undergraduate as a biology major. My science gpa and BCP are around a 3.6. My overall GPA is a 3.75.
I'm starting to freak out. I'm a second semester junior, and am worried about my gpa taking anymore of a hit. I haven't gotten less than a B in any of my classes.
Do DS admissions take into account the grading scale? For example, to get an A in a class at Pitt, I need a 94. Other schools an A is only a 90.

Short answer: Nope.
They just see the letter grade.
Grading scales are also teacher-dependent. Schools have no desire to keep all of that straight!

Also, some schools/professors don't give +/-. So, an 88% in a class could be a B, not B+ (organic chemistry for me last semester)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
[quote="Kef318, post: 14853330, member: 430857]
Is this ever a consideration?[/quote]
Only if the numerical grade is displayed on your transcript instead of letter grade, otherwise no.

No they dont, well at least for the kind of thing youre talking about. When I clicked on this thread I thought you were going to ask about how some schools give out A+ grades and AADSAS calculates that as 4.33; giving students in those schools a considerable leg up on having a better GPA.