Different Kaplan Book Editions?

preopt2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anything specifically different about all of the year editions of the OAT prep book? I would like to wait for the 2019-2020 edition, but it doesnt get released until Dec 4 and I would like to start studying now to maybe take the OAT in dec/jan. Should I just go ahead and purchase the 2017-2018 version?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I can't imagine there would be much of a difference. If you really wanted to wait till it is released tho you could get a coursesaver subscription to begin your studies

Reactions: 1 user
There's no differences in there.. I had a 2013 version and the 2018 version and they both have the same typos and same images. Unless the OAT has changed, it makes no sense to wait to buy the newest edition.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no differences in there.. I had a 2013 version and the 2018 version and they both have the same typos and same images. Unless the OAT has changed, it makes no sense to wait to buy the newest edition.
Thank you for your feedback!! This really helped.

I had the 2016 version and my friend had the 2018 version. The 2018 version had more helpful tabs at the side of the book to show you the different subjects, but that was really the only difference. Both seemed to be missing quantitative comparison type questions that I think they just recently incorporated into the OAT, so that would be the only reason to hold out for the new version since it might be in the new version. That being said, it is very easy to just search up DAT practice for that question type.

I had the 2016 version and my friend had the 2018 version. The 2018 version had more helpful tabs at the side of the book to show you the different subjects, but that was really the only difference. Both seemed to be missing quantitative comparison type questions that I think they just recently incorporated into the OAT, so that would be the only reason to hold out for the new version since it might be in the new version. That being said, it is very easy to just search up DAT practice for that question type.
Thank you! I purchased the new editon of Cracking the OAT. And will be waiting to get the 2019-2020 Kaplan version

I had the 2019-2020 book and thought it was good! However, they don't have an online supplement to it yet so it shows up as the 2017-2018 version online. It was just annoying taking the practice exams because they didn't completely line up with the types of questions in the 2019-2020 version, though I don't know if it's the same way, better, or worse with the book it's supposed to go with. The Kaplan practice exam was definitely harder than the actual OAT, but I found it helpful that you could take your practice exams at either full time, 1.5x time, double time, or unlimited time.