Different undergraduate schools looked at differently?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bannanababy146

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the undergraduate school you went to is taken into consideration when you apply or not. For instance if you compare people that went to a top rated school vs. a small private school would GPAs be looked at differently? would an A at one school be considered a B at another school etc.

Members don't see this ad.

KHE

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if the undergraduate school you went to is taken into consideration when you apply or not. For instance if you compare people that went to a top rated school vs. a small private school would GPAs be looked at differently? would an A at one school be considered a B at another school etc.

I don't know if there's a direct conversion but yes, it should seem obvious that a Yale degree will be looked at slightly differently than Southeastern Arkansas State.

(No offense meant to Southeastern Arkansas State graduates)

I don't know if there's a direct conversion but yes, it should seem obvious that a Yale degree will be looked at slightly differently than Southeastern Arkansas State.

(No offense meant to Southeastern Arkansas State graduates)

yea, at houston they told us (we are a top school) that they rate competitiveness 1-7 and if your school is higher on the scale, then you will be given an advantage/boost/special consideration

Members don't see this ad :)

nicmc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

From what I was told during the application process, people who go to a top-rated school can have lower GPAs than people who did not and still be accepted. It helps out those with the tougher curriculum to level the playing field (the OAT levels it somewhat as well). Also, if you go to a tough school and do very well, you are very competitive for scholarships.

DawgOD

SCO C/o 2014
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
they definitely consider the institution u attended..

for example, a 3.0 at Harvard i'm sure is still pretty good