different ways to get into plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Downstatedoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm confused about the different paths to get into plastics...i understand that there are integrated programs (that are really competitive). Are there more round about ways of getting in? What are the positives and negatives? Gererally how stellar do you need to be to get into this field? I think i'm probably at about top 20% of my class (i'm a first year, with nearly all High Pass marks)

For example, is it a good idea to go through general surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

1) integrated or combined...match out of med school
2) 3 years general surgery..and then match into fellowship at YOUR OWN INSTITUTION, you cannot go elsewhere.
3) completed training in GS, or few other surgical fields..then apply for fellowship, this path may be on the decline in the future

all levels are competitive, out of med school it is one of the most competitive matchs, out of residency...one of the most competitive fellowships, not a lot of spots..and a lot of warm bodies

Any way a GS can train in plastics procedures (basic ones) to use for overseas service? Not doing it for money in the States but just for helping?

Like a non-approved fellowship?

I don't know of anything like that. More importantly, are you going to subject some third-world patients to your attempt at a cleft lip or palate repair when you aren't credentialed to do it in the States? In addition, Op Smile, Smile Train, and Interplast won't take non-Plastic Surgeons for their trips.