Differential Diagnosis books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Waysensei

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for posting this on here, but I don't know where else to put it...

I'm about to finish my 2nd year and start my 3rd year cores. My school didn't teach us differential diagnosis and I'm aware that it's something that I need to be familiar with for my rotations. What books would you recommend me for DD? I'd like something with explanations, and is more than just a list.

Members don't see this ad.

red book has solid lists for most common things and includes the more common zebras. also tells you how to workup a given cheif complaint and what the lab values indicate. def. recc'd for any M3! there is also a green version for peds which is good too

Read Robbins. Understanding pathophysiology is the key to making DDs.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I'm looking for is a book that will walk me through how to make a DD from a patient complaint.

I think that in general, if you paid attention M1/M2 year and score even acceptably on boards, you probably have figured a way to make at least a decent DDx just in order to survive.

Try Symptoms to Diagnosis. It's a helpful book.

Program called "Diagnosaurus" for iTouch & iPhone

http://www.unboundmedicine.com/store/diagnosaurus_iphone

Can type in the chief complaint, can do it by organ system, lab values, can also group certain Sxs together...AIDS & diarrhea, AMS in a DMer....good stuff, only $ 0. 99.

Also whenever you're making a DDx, make sure to try & get two things ...the most common, & what is going to kill the patient

Last edited: