Differential Diagnosis Pneumonic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jb2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a pneumonic that helps you categorize the etiology of a disease but all I can remember is infectious, congenital, trauma, idiopathic, and tumor. Does anyone remember the pneumonic?

Members don't see this ad.

"I VINDICATE AIDS":
Idiopathic
Vascular
Infectious
Neoplastic
Degenerative
Inflammatory
Congenital
Autoimmune
Traumatic
Endocrinal and metabolic
Allergic
Iatrogenic
Drugs
Social

Members don't see this ad :)
I new it was mnemonic....just testing yah :) (Just kidding I didn't know).

Febrifuge said:
http://www.medicalmnemonics.com/cgi-bin/browse.cfm

It's "mnemonic," after Mnemonsyne, the Greek muse of memory. "Pneumo-" has to do with the movement of air. ;)

EDIT: Sorry, the Muses were her daughters (with Zeus). Mnemonsyne herself was a Titan. http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/ent/A0833499.html

Ha Ha. I knew it. I guessed before the thread opened that someone would "correct" the "mistake". Sheesh. That's the problem with brainiac forums. Honestly I think we're conditioned to not be able to notice a "mistake" without getting constipated about it. But at least you went to the trouble of quoting the entire etemology from the dictionary. When I look at my classmates, it seems like some us have been turned into walking reference books. Handy if you need a reference book. Not so great if you need a person. :)

phoenixsupra said:
Ha Ha. I knew it. I guessed before the thread opened that someone would "correct" the "mistake". Sheesh. That's the problem with brainiac forums. Honestly I think we're conditioned to not be able to notice a "mistake" without getting constipated about it. But at least you went to the trouble of quoting the entire etemology from the dictionary. When I look at my classmates, it seems like some us have been turned into walking reference books. Handy if you need a reference book. Not so great if you need a person. :)
Or a pulse-oximeter. :rolleyes: ;)

DrMaryC said:
"I VINDICATE AIDS":
Idiopathic
Vascular
Infectious
Neoplastic
Degenerative
Inflammatory
Congenital
Autoimmune
Traumatic
Endocrinal and metabolic
Allergic
Iatrogenic
Drugs
Social

Using most but not all of the ones above, we were taught the mnemonic

"VITAMIN D"

phoenixsupra said:
Dude, chill. ;) My snarky attitude and attempts at humor are supposed to balance out the brainiac side. I'm still the same old lovable ******* I've always been; I've just gotten smarter and more careful about certain things. Good qualities, I think. I appreciate it when people show me the errors I didn't even know I was making.

And anyway, if you want to say "pneumonic" while you're on a rotation in 3rd year, knock yourself out. But it's not a "mistake." Irony-quotes are not needed. It's a mistake. And so what? We all make mistakes. (...Like misspelling "etymology.") :p I make 'em all the time too.

We're going to be doctors, and people may tend to listen to us and trust us a touch more than others. Maybe our future patients will appreciate that we take extra time to be sure we're right. It's a nice habit to get into.

I agree we shouldn't turn into boring stiffs. Info-zombies. Humorless pedantic twits. You have an excellent point. But what's so bad about correcting someone, if it's done kindly, and in the spirit of helping out? There's nothing constipated about that kind of activity, and I think I see you agreeing about that. It's all good.

(Plus I used to be an English major, so there you go.)

leorl said:
Oh, and it's "Mnemosyne," not Mnemonsyne."
That's what I'm talkin' about! Happens all the damn time.

Febrifuge said:
Dude, chill. ;) My snarky attitude and attempts at humor are supposed to balance out the brainiac side. I'm still the same old lovable ******* I've always been; I've just gotten smarter and more careful about certain things. Good qualities, I think. I appreciate it when people show me the errors I didn't even know I was making.

And anyway, if you want to say "pneumonic" while you're on a rotation in 3rd year, knock yourself out. But it's not a "mistake." Irony-quotes are not needed. It's a mistake. And so what? We all make mistakes. (...Like misspelling "etymology.") :p I make 'em all the time too.

We're going to be doctors, and people may tend to listen to us and trust us a touch more than others. Maybe our future patients will appreciate that we take extra time to be sure we're right. It's a nice habit to get into.

I agree we shouldn't turn into boring stiffs. Info-zombies. Humorless pedantic twits. You have an excellent point. But what's so bad about correcting someone, if it's done kindly, and in the spirit of helping out? There's nothing constipated about that kind of activity, and I think I see you agreeing about that. It's all good.

(Plus I used to be an English major, so there you go.)

aggreed. My comments were unkind and OTT

***slaps himself***

Thanks for the reality check. Yes, spelling is not my strong suit. And being corrected is not a bad thing. So why is it an issue for me?? I wonder. I think it's the way we tend to do it. Sort of in a hurried and harsh constipated manner. Did you sound that way. No. You just typed some words. It was me reading a certain tone into what you said. I aggree that correcting is fine when done kindly. In school that is rarely the case. Obviously I have some kind of issue with this. And classroom culture in general. So apologies are in order. I promise I'll chill out now. :) Thank you for responding so reasonably.

phoenixsupra said:
...being corrected is not a bad thing... I think it's the way we tend to do it. Sort of in a hurried and harsh constipated manner.
I agree with you, that kind of thing is hard to take, and I think it's bad for learning as well. You're right to speak out against it. I only meant, if you train your brain to recognize "pneomo-" versus "mnemo-" that is a handy skill... because we have to deal with a lot of "inter-" versus "intra-," "hyper-" versus "hypo-," and "-calcemia" versus "-kalemia" stuff.

phoenixsupra said:
I aggree that correcting is fine when done kindly. In school that is rarely the case. Obviously I have some kind of issue with this. And classroom culture in general. So apologies are in order. I promise I'll chill out now. :) Thank you for responding so reasonably.
No apologies are needed, but thank you. You have a valid point, and it's something that should be talked about more: the way feedback is given seems to have an effect on a person's ability to accept feedback in the future. There are reams of research on this in the world of Educational Psych and in teaching and training. It seems bizarre that in the education of medical people, the schools don't always leap all over the very best and most effective methods for making sure people learn. Even pimping, if done right, can be more like a high-pressure drill, with an edge of challenge and fun, than a beat-down.

So... back to topic... check the "Pimping" thread for the good kind. And dude, tell us more about this toxic environment at your school! (Heh. Just kidding... mostly.)

Febrifuge said:
That's what I'm talkin' about! Happens all the damn time.
That was meant to be funny. Should have put a damn smiley face by it :). So that was subtle, but to be honest, if you said "pneumonic" instead of a "mnemonic" to a teacher, attending, etc.... you'd look pretty stupid. So better that you find out here than looking like an idiot after a bit of pimping eh?