Difficult finding a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2013dmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing rumors that it is difficult for new dentists fresh out of dental school to find good Full-time jobs. Is this true? Is it dependent on location? I plan on taking the NERB and living in any of the NERB states.. mainly DC, Ohio, PA... but I am open. Main areas include Cleveland, Pittsburg, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and DC /VA areas. Curious as to what starting salary/hours/full-time options/benefits/etc may range in these areas... if anyone has any specific ideas. Should I be worried about these rumors?
Any information about this exact question and/or any related articles/information sources are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I keep hearing rumors that it is difficult for new dentists fresh out of dental school to find good Full-time jobs. Is this true? Is it dependent on location? I plan on taking the NERB and living in any of the NERB states.. mainly DC, Ohio, PA... but I am open. Main areas include Cleveland, Pittsburg, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, and DC /VA areas. Curious as to what starting salary/hours/full-time options/benefits/etc may range in these areas... if anyone has any specific ideas. Should I be worried about these rumors?
Any information about this exact question and/or any related articles/information sources are much appreciated.

Thank you.

In this economic condition you will find a job, but you won't be able to easily satisfy all of the criteria that are important to you.

For example, the location may be decent, but they pay not great. Or the location will be in an area where you don't prefer, and the pay good, but the hours terrible (hence the good pay!). Or any combination of those things. Heck, the location might be great, the pay fair, but the owner doctor a complete tool.

Be prepared for any of those outcomes. Recognize that your first job is likely not going to be where you are for the rest of your career. Use it as a stepping-stone and learn as much as you can from the situation. Also, you may have to work at multiple different jobs in different towns in order to make enough income.

Thanks for the information. This is not what I would have expected, but I suppose I will have to work with it.

I think my priority first year out is to
1. make enough money to pay some of my loans off
2. work with a senior dentist that is both WILLING and CAPABLE of teaching me to be better and faster at what I do
3. Working in a somewhat decent area close to the locations I mentioned (at least within visiting distance of family).

Hours are important, but not terribly important... If I have to work Friday, Saturday, Sunday for a while then so be it.
It's good to know that these are the conditions I will be looking for a job under because it won't cause me to turn down offers that I think are terrible, but in reality, may be worth it because I'll be a new dentist.
Also, we have many opportunities right now to make connections with dentists looking for new talent in the near future, and I will surely make more of an effort to utilize /maintain these connections over the next couple years.

Is it difficult to find a job in a practice that doesn't only do specific types of procedures? I have heard of practices that do only, for example, simple extractions, simple endo, and dentures, and refer ALL other patients. Is this commonplace? I am most interested in being a part of a practice that does a wide variety of procedures with varying levels of difficulty. Now that we are starting clinic, I just started thinking about these types of questions.

Any input/information is welcome!

Thank you.

My experience in NYC. If you don't have GPR, you will have a tough time finding your first job, due to the fact there are tons and tons of other job applicants with GPR experience. HOWEVER, you may be able to find a job that no one else want. Eg. Capitation/HMO offices (which is a notch below medicaid offices :laugh: ) You will need to take the job with lower pay and lower daily guarantee, however, once experience is up, earning power will also be up.