difficult situation - secondary question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KatieJune, Oct 12, 2002.

1. KatieJune

KatieJune Senior Member

I am wondering if there are topics that are too "heavy" for a secondary question about describing a difficult situation you have overcome. What types of things are appropriate. I would like to talk about depression in a family member, but might this be too heavy? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    I did it. You can too. I decided that talking about some of my own issues would be too heavy or reflect bad on me, but talking about the issues of others that have affected me or put me in some crappy situations is pretty fair game. I think it can show maturity.

I've gotten interviews at the places I've written such heavy responses. Maybe it's not appropriate for all types of questions, but sometimes with the questions they ask I think they want you to drag this stuff up.

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    I would say think long and hard about what you are going to write. You would not want your secondary questions to put doubts or concern in admission committee's minds. However you want to be yourself, so I guess it is a fine line you tread on.

Be prepared to talk about what you have written in your 2ndary during any interview at that school. And a tip about this... KEEP a COPY of your 2ndary and review it before your interview.

I was asked about something from the 2ndary, but forgot what I had written (was sick during the interview so wasn't thinking to well). You really have to be prepared to talk about your answers!!!!!!

5. Qafas

Qafas Jarhead

Resident [Any Field]
    I think it's perfectly alright to talk about a difficult situation that you've faced; however, you must go somewhere with it. What I mean is that you should be able to tie it into the rest of your statement. Don't just throw something out there, because unless you can show how it affected you and how you dealt with it, it is not likely to be useful. Also, be mindful not to turn it into anything that sounds like an excuse for something; that is more likely to hurt you than help you.

with regards