difficulty at your own program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adjsmj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard it said about a particular program that they don't take many if any from their own school. Is this the practice at most places? Why? I would think you would be at an advantage.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by adjsmj:
•Is this the practice at most places?•

I can't say about most places, but I am sure this isn't the practice at all places. At both of my state schools around 25 to 30% of the students do their residency at the same place as med school.

As true with NYCOM as well. NYCOMEC is a consortium of several hostpitals with osteopathic residencies that accept a major proportion of NYCOM students. There are a few of these consortiums around the country in partnership with osteopathic schools.

Just as there are programs which seem not to prefer their own, there are those which seem only to accept grads of the affiliated medical school. One only needs to look at web sites of various programs to see that many programs are "in-bred", that is the residents often went to med school and even undergraduate at the same campus.

However, I doubt any school has a formal policy of restricting its own graduates or only accepting homegrowns. Just a history of one or the other which can easily be ascertained.

The reason behind a decision not to take many homegrowns is often given as a desire to broaden experiences, bring in information and people from different areas of the country. Too many people training at the same place tend to perpetuate a "practice model" which isn't necessarily the best - faculty, residents and students from all over tend to bring fresh ideas to a program.