difficulty finding locums hospitalist jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kabooya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing up an IM fellowship this summer and am applying for hospitalist positions in the northeast area - particularly in Pennsylvania where I currently am. My plan before starting fellowship was to do hospitalist work - I mainly did fellowship for personal "enjoyment" and understand the financial opportunity cost.

I reached out to locums recruiters a few months ago (January) and was told that most locums positions open up 30-90 days prior to the start date and to recheck in the spring (now) if I planned on starting work in July/August. However, after applying to a few jobs and reaching out to a few recruiters, there haven't been many opportunities. Now that the academic year is coming to an end, I'm starting to stress out from the job search. I'm starting to consider nocturnist gigs since there seem to be so many more of those, but ideally would do daytime work this summer. All my training is in the US and there are no red flags on my CV. I've been using 2 semi large locum agency websites. Any advice on where I should be looking for locums hospitalist positions in my area?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently finishing up an IM fellowship this summer and am applying for hospitalist positions in the northeast area - particularly in Pennsylvania where I currently am. My plan before starting fellowship was to do hospitalist work - I mainly did fellowship for personal "enjoyment" and understand the financial opportunity cost.

I reached out to locums recruiters a few months ago (January) and was told that most locums positions open up 30-90 days prior to the start date and to recheck in the spring (now) if I planned on starting work in July/August. However, after applying to a few jobs and reaching out to a few recruiters, there haven't been many opportunities. Now that the academic year is coming to an end, I'm starting to stress out from the job search. I'm starting to consider nocturnist gigs since there seem to be so many more of those, but ideally would do daytime work this summer. All my training is in the US and there are no red flags on my CV. I've been using 2 semi large locum agency websites. Any advice on where I should be looking for locums hospitalist positions in my area?

Thanks in advance!
Try Comp Health, I had some success with them

The thing with locums is you need to be willing to travel to where the work is. If you trained in a fellowship chances are there is a good supply of physicians in your area which is why there probably arent many jobs. If you want to do locums open it up nationwide.

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks in advance!
You have to be more flexible in geographical location.
2-3 months is a little tight for credentialing, though possible if they need someone bad enough.
Worked with Barton’s and Weatherby.
Will never work with CompHealth again… they are shady AF.

Reactions: 1 user