Difficulty matching Neurology (decent program) as a DO medical student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
10 or so of my DO colleagues and I (board scores ranging from 220-260) all matched successfully this year at reputable academic programs (UCDavis, Loma Linda, UoAZ, Duke, CCF, Cincinnati, OHSU, USF, etc..). The field has gotten a bit more competitive, like everything else, but matching as a DO with a decent application is still within reach.

Have average boards scores (including USMLE).
Do an audition rotation and get a solid LOR from them.
Show commitment to the field (attend AAN conferences, research, Neuro clubs, etc...)
Apply broadly.
Have realistic expectations.

Reactions: 5 users
I would like to echo the above statement. I am a DO and I interviewed at many reputable programs and matched at a great program that I am very happy with.

I know of many DO colleagues on the trail who matched into great places, often their top choice.

You may not get a letter from an audition in neurology, but you must have a letter from a neurologist you worked with (this is usually a requirement to be considered).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I really am thinking about Neurology in the future. Does anyone know how difficult it is to match into neurology as a DO medical student? I would prefer any decent program.

Assuming decent board scores and interviews is there a good chance. Just wondering. K thanks.

It's not too difficult, assuming decent USMLE scores and LORs, even in the coasts.

10 or so of my DO colleagues and I (board scores ranging from 220-260) all matched successfully this year at reputable academic programs (UCDavis, Loma Linda, UoAZ, Duke, CCF, Cincinnati, OHSU, USF, etc..). The field has gotten a bit more competitive, like everything else, but matching as a DO with a decent application is still within reach.

Have average boards scores (including USMLE).
Do an audition rotation and get a solid LOR from them.
Show commitment to the field (attend AAN conferences, research, Neuro clubs, etc...)
Apply broadly.
Have realistic expectations.

Completely agree with what Ibn Alnafis says.

What is a good way to gauge how competitive the program is? Is there a resource that has the program's avg step scores? Thanks

What is a good way to gauge how competitive the program is? Is there a resource that has the program's avg step scores? Thanks

Doximity has a good sense for what the top 10-15 programs are. Outside of that it's less reliable.

The super subjective way to evaluate how competitive a program is is to check how well known the schools are that their residents come from, and if they are all US MDs (more competitive), or if there a mix of DOs and IMGs/FMGs (less competitive) as well.

Your advisors and home PD are probably your best resource for this as well, but they shouldn't be your only resource.

I also contacted previous graduates of my med school still in Neurology residency to see what they thought when they were applying. Also very helpful.