Difficulty matching Neurology (decent program) as a DO medical student?

Started by license43
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

10 or so of my DO colleagues and I (board scores ranging from 220-260) all matched successfully this year at reputable academic programs (UCDavis, Loma Linda, UoAZ, Duke, CCF, Cincinnati, OHSU, USF, etc..). The field has gotten a bit more competitive, like everything else, but matching as a DO with a decent application is still within reach.

Have average boards scores (including USMLE).
Do an audition rotation and get a solid LOR from them.
Show commitment to the field (attend AAN conferences, research, Neuro clubs, etc...)
Apply broadly.
Have realistic expectations.
 
I would like to echo the above statement. I am a DO and I interviewed at many reputable programs and matched at a great program that I am very happy with.

I know of many DO colleagues on the trail who matched into great places, often their top choice.

You may not get a letter from an audition in neurology, but you must have a letter from a neurologist you worked with (this is usually a requirement to be considered).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I really am thinking about Neurology in the future. Does anyone know how difficult it is to match into neurology as a DO medical student? I would prefer any decent program.

Assuming decent board scores and interviews is there a good chance. Just wondering. K thanks.

It's not too difficult, assuming decent USMLE scores and LORs, even in the coasts.

10 or so of my DO colleagues and I (board scores ranging from 220-260) all matched successfully this year at reputable academic programs (UCDavis, Loma Linda, UoAZ, Duke, CCF, Cincinnati, OHSU, USF, etc..). The field has gotten a bit more competitive, like everything else, but matching as a DO with a decent application is still within reach.

Have average boards scores (including USMLE).
Do an audition rotation and get a solid LOR from them.
Show commitment to the field (attend AAN conferences, research, Neuro clubs, etc...)
Apply broadly.
Have realistic expectations.

Completely agree with what Ibn Alnafis says.
 
What is a good way to gauge how competitive the program is? Is there a resource that has the program's avg step scores? Thanks
 
What is a good way to gauge how competitive the program is? Is there a resource that has the program's avg step scores? Thanks

Doximity has a good sense for what the top 10-15 programs are. Outside of that it's less reliable.

The super subjective way to evaluate how competitive a program is is to check how well known the schools are that their residents come from, and if they are all US MDs (more competitive), or if there a mix of DOs and IMGs/FMGs (less competitive) as well.

Your advisors and home PD are probably your best resource for this as well, but they shouldn't be your only resource.

I also contacted previous graduates of my med school still in Neurology residency to see what they thought when they were applying. Also very helpful.