Difficulty obtaining research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I did a clinical research internship years ago, but it was an advertised position that I applied for and got. Same with a single-semester position with the Psych department some years back. I want some more experience partially for science LOR reasons. I feel like I had a hard time getting to know professors during the pandemic.

I am having a really hard time finding a position, potentially because I'm sure other students are having the same problem!

I "cold email" and people tell me they aren't looking for anyone right now.

I really like clinical research and that would be my first choice. My massive state school has a medical school attached. How socially acceptable is it for an undergrad to email the PI of those labs and ask if they would have use for an undergrad? I am competent in some statistical programs like R and Stata.

How do I find labs that are looking for someone? Am I going about asking the wrong way? What should I do here?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For starters

Second, for summer research positions, you need to have started asking or applying 6 months ago. That's when the PI's begin thinking about their summer budgets to handle any summer students.

Reactions: 1 user
For starters

Second, for summer research positions, you need to have started asking or applying 6 months ago. That's when the PI's begin thinking about their summer budgets to handle any summer students.

Thank you. I think I'm just discouraged because all of the things they say to do to find a position at your own school are things I'm already doing and not finding fruitful. The listed programs under Research Experience are all national programs I could never get into coming from a state school as a non-URM.

I am not looking for something for this summer. I was looking for something for the school year. I could start looking next December/January for something next summer if it's too late for the school year. I am not applying this cycle. Do you think it's too late for the school year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually the science LOR is supposed to be from somebody who taught you in a course. The PI letter is often an extra one similar to employment.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you. I think I'm just discouraged because all of the things they say to do to find a position at your own school are things I'm already doing and not finding fruitful. The listed programs under Research Experience are all national programs I could never get into coming from a state school as a non-URM.

I am not looking for something for this summer. I was looking for something for the school year. I could start looking next December/January for something next summer if it's too late for the school year. I am not applying this cycle. Do you think it's too late for the school year?
Many of the massive universities now have offices supporting undergraduate student research or creativity because that should be a fundamental role of the University. It is definitely something that requires assistance whether from your career services office, department faculty, or undergrad research administrators. You might be able to find something now but you may not be able to find a paid position.

Articles previously posted:

Many of the massive universities now have offices supporting undergraduate student research or creativity because that should be a fundamental role of the University. It is definitely something that requires assistance whether from your career services office, department faculty, or undergrad research administrators. You might be able to find something, but you may not be able to find a paid position.

Articles previously posted:

Thank you for the articles. That's helpful. These didn't show up on your first post. There must have been a little glitch and only the general link for the EC-finding tool showed up.

I will ask advising and see what we have in the way of an office supporting undergraduate research.

Thank you again.

Usually the science LOR is supposed to be from somebody who taught you in a course. The PI letter is often an extra one similar to employment.

I did not know this. Thank you for letting me know.

Thank you for the articles. That's helpful. These didn't show up on your first post. There must have been a little glitch and only the general link for the EC-finding tool showed up.

I will ask advising and see what we have in the way of an office supporting undergraduate research.

Thank you again.
Good luck! Drop a line if there is still any confusion or a lack of resolution on this.