Difficulty of admissions into research internships HHMI cloister program, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried looking this up but not one of the threads out there addresses this issue(most just end with the question and no replies). I dont doubt this because so few students participate in the program-some 42 a year.

However, I'm curious, what does it take to gain admissions into the HHMI research program? I hear its the most prestigious program in the US and as a result I can only assume its difficult to get in? about 140 some students apply for it every year.

Suppose a student has outstanding board scores, grades, etc. but comes from an unranked medical school, will that severely hinder his/her application? What other factors are considered? Any anecdotal stories?

Members don't see this ad.

I tried looking this up but not one of the threads out there addresses this issue(most just end with the question and no replies). I dont doubt this because so few students participate in the program-some 42 a year.

However, I'm curious, what does it take to gain admissions into the HHMI research program? I hear its the most prestigious program in the US and as a result I can only assume its difficult to get in? about 140 some students apply for it every year.

Suppose a student has outstanding board scores, grades, etc. but comes from an unranked medical school, will that severely hinder his/her application? What other factors are considered? Any anecdotal stories?

I know someone who was a DO student that got into the HHMI research program. I think they like variety, so it can't hurt to apply.

I know someone who was a DO student that got into the HHMI research program. I think they like variety, so it can't hurt to apply.

thats interesting, and good to know. do you know the particulars of this student.

anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
this makes no sense...this should be part of the allopathic forum as it is for students who have finished at least THEIR SECOND YEAR OF MED SCHOOL!

this makes no sense...this should be part of the allopathic forum as it is for students who have finished at least THEIR SECOND YEAR OF MED SCHOOL!

And I'm not sure why it was moved to the Residency Forum. :confused: I think someone misunderstood because of the term "internship" in your title.

The Cloisters program is not residency, not for residents, but is a medical/vet student program.

Moving to the Research Forum (since they take MD/DO students, vets, dental students, etc. it is a multidisciplinary topic, not just allopathic).

I tried looking this up but not one of the threads out there addresses this issue(most just end with the question and no replies). I dont doubt this because so few students participate in the program-some 42 a year...
Actually there is a thread in this forum that year-out program applicants have used over the last few years. Some of content addresses the competitiveness of the different programs.

...I hear its the most prestigious program in the US...
It's the most well-known overall because it's been around the longest. Others, like Sarnoff and the CDC program could be better for your CV, depending on where you want to go with your career.

...about 140 some students apply for it every year...
I remember the figure being closer to 200.

...Suppose a student has outstanding board scores, grades, etc. but comes from an unranked medical school, will that severely hinder his/her application? What other factors are considered? Any anecdotal stories?
Take a look at the HHMI/Sarnoff/CRTP thread.

Take a look at the HHMI/Sarnoff/CRTP thread.

I did, its not particularly helpful, even after going through about 9 pages it doesnt really discuss difficulty of admission and more specifically where students come from in terms of school reputation, work they did, grades, etc.

Most people just discuss the application process, interveiws etc. while there may be slivers of information in that thread, going through each page when I already went through 5 seemed like a bit much for me.

I'm hoping you guys can offer something more? or anyone else...

I did, its not particularly helpful, even after going through about 9 pages it doesnt really discuss difficulty of admission and more specifically where students come from in terms of school reputation, work they did, grades, etc...
Actually, it does. thesauce gives admission numbers. OptimallyPrime talks about his stats. There's a few more relevant entries in the FAQ, too. I'll tell you that I've met kids in every year-out program that have come from 'no-name' or state schools. "Prestige" of school does not matter.

...while there may be slivers of information in that thread, going through each page when I already went through 5 seemed like a bit much for me...
If you're a pre-med as your profile says, then get used to it. If you get in to med school you'll be expected to read and understand 1000s of pages of technical material every month.

Actually, it does. thesauce gives admission numbers. OptimallyPrime talks about his stats. There's a few more relevant entries in the FAQ, too. I'll tell you that I've met kids in every year-out program that have come from 'no-name' or state schools. "Prestige" of school does not matter.

If you're a pre-med as your profile says, then get used to it. If you get in to med school you'll be expected to read and understand 1000s of pages of technical material every month.

lol...you have a flair for the overexaggeration and meaningless. Come onnow, I have better things to do than read through pages of a thread where the main purpose wasn't even to address my questions but rather discuss the application process for the program. in any case I did read through it and didnt find anything.

if you dont want to talk about it or post about it because you think I should make the extra effort to read through everything there is then so be it. I just hope others can be helpful, however.

I don't think school matters. Reps from HHMI have come to my school for at least the last two years to give an information session about the med fellows and cloister programs. I go to Meharry. I think that's a lot of work if they're just looking for people from "top 10" schools.

Lys

Just noticed this thread. I was in the program.

Boards don't matter and aren't required to apply. They look at your MCAT and med school grades. School rep doesn't count for much either. The interviews are tough and count the most, I believe.