Difficulty of combined MD/MPH program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find an answer to this in a previous search. Is anyone currently enrolled in an MD/MPH program? One of the schools I'm looking at (UT San Antonio) offers the program, but I'm curious about how difficult it would be to stack the MPH on top of your MD curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not familiar with the UTHSCA program, but the challenge of balancing the two degrees depends a lot on how much overlap is allowed between programs. In my program, they recommend using the summers before M1 and M2 to take the core classes. I only used the summer before M1, but I've been taking a few classes during the school year. Because the classes are much smaller, I can't really skip out of the lectures like I sometimes do with med school, but the public health topics have been really interesting and well worth it. Good luck!

I couldn't find an answer to this in a previous search. Is anyone currently enrolled in an MD/MPH program? One of the schools I'm looking at (UT San Antonio) offers the program, but I'm curious about how difficult it would be to stack the MPH on top of your MD curriculum.

I'm in the program at UTHSCSA. The program is actually only in it's second year and I'm the first class going through it (c/o 2011). Taking the additional classes isn't really a problem. The concern that most of us have is making sure we finish our thesis in time to graduate at the end of the 4 years. However if you are proactive, have a good SPH advisor and get an early start rather than waiting for your 4th year to start your thesis, then it's doable. If you have any other question, just PM me. I'm also the Student Rep. for our MD/MPH program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Roshario. UTSA is definitely one of the schools at which I'm hoping to be accepted. What do you think of the school so far?

Love the school! The dual program is new so there are growing pains but the administration has been fantastic about listening to our needs and trying to accommodate us and making sure we are successful in the program.

Oh, and by the way, UTSA is actually a different school here in San Antonio. UTHSCSA is the med school. You'll learn the difference real fast when you come here. :D