thedelicatessen

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm not familiar with the UTHSCA program, but the challenge of balancing the two degrees depends a lot on how much overlap is allowed between programs. In my program, they recommend using the summers before M1 and M2 to take the core classes. I only used the summer before M1, but I've been taking a few classes during the school year. Because the classes are much smaller, I can't really skip out of the lectures like I sometimes do with med school, but the public health topics have been really interesting and well worth it. Good luck!

Roshario

Cracking Toast!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
San Diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I couldn't find an answer to this in a previous search. Is anyone currently enrolled in an MD/MPH program? One of the schools I'm looking at (UT San Antonio) offers the program, but I'm curious about how difficult it would be to stack the MPH on top of your MD curriculum.

I'm in the program at UTHSCSA. The program is actually only in it's second year and I'm the first class going through it (c/o 2011). Taking the additional classes isn't really a problem. The concern that most of us have is making sure we finish our thesis in time to graduate at the end of the 4 years. However if you are proactive, have a good SPH advisor and get an early start rather than waiting for your 4th year to start your thesis, then it's doable. If you have any other question, just PM me. I'm also the Student Rep. for our MD/MPH program.

About the Ads

Roshario

Cracking Toast!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
San Diego
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks Roshario. UTSA is definitely one of the schools at which I'm hoping to be accepted. What do you think of the school so far?

Love the school! The dual program is new so there are growing pains but the administration has been fantastic about listening to our needs and trying to accommodate us and making sure we are successful in the program.

Oh, and by the way, UTSA is actually a different school here in San Antonio. UTHSCSA is the med school. You'll learn the difference real fast when you come here. :D

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.