Difficulty of cracking 500 on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

How hard is it to just get a 500 on the real mcat? Like is it attainable with just limited study time like 15-20 days or is it very hard to attain? Is it similar to practice exams in terms of difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your background knowledge.
It is similar to the AAMC official practice exams, but dissimilar to third-party exams.
Ok gotcha. What if someone started with no background with 15-20 days could they still study the Kaplan subject books and take AAMC FL 1-3 and Sample before the exam and still be successful?

Depends. I was getting 515 on Ns exams before studying, so probably around that. I had a lot of background knowledge tho from my classes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok gotcha. What if someone started with no background with 15-20 days could they still study the Kaplan subject books and take AAMC FL 1-3 and Sample before the exam and still be successful?
What do you mean by "no background"? If it means the that last time you opened bio book was in high school 4 years ago, then it's impossible to learn everything in 15 days (hardly even in 15 months)

What does no background mean? Like a toddler? An English major?

Not really sure what you're asking. If you want to see if you can score ~500, take an official AAMC full length under test-like conditions.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean they have a background but going through the subject books to refresh and for content review.
You just said that you retained nothing, refreshing means there is something to refresh. This test will determine where you go (if anywhere at all), so taking it after 2-3 weeks of preparation is extremely bad idea. Wait for a year, prepare properly, and then take it, schools are not going anywhere.

Why are you so hung up on taking the MCAT with so little time? If you do poorly after so little prep, you have nobody to blame but yourself, and you have zero excuse.

Basically studying Kaplan Subject Books and memorize 100 page Psych/Soc page and do AAMC Sample, AAMC FL1, AAMC FL2, and AAMC FL 3 in 17 days. They’re already on chapter 4 in subject books studying and doing a chapter a day from 5 subject books. Just to get into any medical school MD or DO doesn’t matter.

Basically studying Kaplan Subject Books and memorize 100 page Psych/Soc page and do AAMC Sample, AAMC FL1, AAMC FL2, and AAMC FL 3 in 17 days. They’re already on chapter 4 in subject books studying and doing a chapter a day from 5 subject books. Just to get into any medical school MD or DO doesn’t matter.
That's a disasterous plan. You're going to get a bad score...

Basically studying Kaplan Subject Books and memorize 100-page Psych/Soc page and do AAMC Sample, AAMC FL1, AAMC FL2, and AAMC FL 3 in 17 days. They’re already on chapter 4 in subject books studying and doing a chapter a day from 5 subject books. Just to get into any medical school MD or DO doesn’t matter.
So you scheduled July 20 and delayed your studying and now you're scared to take an FL and you don't know if you can get above a 500 or not? If this is your case, I would highly recommend postponing 2 months or even until next year if you truly have not even begun studying especially without any good content background. Getting a 500 can be a piece of cake for some and take months for others. This test is about having a good content background and as equally as important, passage based critical thinking skills; however, for the sake of hypotheticals, let's assume you have good or even excellent reading skills. If you can pull a 127-128 on CARS on the first try, then you are in a good position to score a 500+ in 20 days and this is what I would recommend:

P/S - Grind out premed95 Anki deck in 3-4 days (Use 300 page P/S document to supplement things you don't understand) OR just use 86 page doc and make your own cards
C/P - (Physics - memorize all the equations on Kaplan quick sheet (use Anki)) (Genchem/orgo anki deck: use (should take about 5-7 days for this)
B/B - Use Khan Academy and watch all the videos on Biochemistry + rebopbebops biology deck (or if it's too much, use Examkracker biology review)

If you do all that + AAMC FL1, 2, and 3 + section banks you could possibly and very well net a (125, 128, 125, 127); however, this is very unlikely. The materials I listed to you usually take 1.5-2 months to finish. Trying to get all that material done in 18-20 days will require superhuman determination, but I guess anything is possible right? Good luck and remember if you are serious about testing in 20 days, then TAKE a practice FL and access where you are at now, who knows, maybe you can score a 500 on the first try.