Diffraction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i was reading about diffraction of light...I just got lost when they started talking about the single slit and double slit experiments, grating and thin films and they brought a lot of equations...

we did not cover intereference and diffraction in my general physics class...so how much should I do concentrate on this stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

It's definitely worth knowing. If you can understand Young's double slit experiment, the single slit should be easy to grasp. If you have never learned the stuff, you might want to read through a physics textbook... but I would think that any MCAT review materials would suffice.

thanks...i will read it again..hopefully i will grasp it!

I was once told by my math prof, "If you cant grasp, eat grass."

or else i will be eating some grass

:laugh:

Yeah, sorry I was so vague... if you have specific questions, I could help you more. I'm pretty good with diffraction. :)

I read about this a few years before taking physics from reading some "quantum physics for dummies" type books. It isn't a very difficult idea to grasp really. Really it just demostrates by interference pattens and by firing single photons, that light behaves as both a wave and a particle.