This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conchilardo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right out front, I will be applying this year, but this does not mean I'm going to be heartbroken if I am not accepted... like the past two cycles. Some background:

Associates in biology from South Texas College(2014-2016): 3.85 gpa
Bachelor's from University of Oregon(2016-2018): 3.4 cumulative gpa

MCAT first time: 502 (almost no preparation, way overconfident)
MCAT second attempt: scheduled Jully 23rd (513 on first practice test, three more coming)

lumber industry (2013-2014)
tutor and manual laborer(2014-2016)
lumber industry (2016-2017)
tutoring(2016-2018) - math, science, writing, ESL
hospital volunteering and physician shadowing (2016-2018)
Care-taker for disabled adults(2016-2020)
Medical scribe (2018-2019)
Biomedical research assistant (early2019-present)

LOR from undergraduate molecular biology professor, biochemistry professor, tutoring supervisor, pediatrician, veterinary surgeon (research related), behavioral neuroscience PHD (investigator in the lab I'm in), and from the principle investigator of my lab (who is also the director of the neuroscience division at OHSU). Each letter from someone that I've had a strong, long term relationship with at this point.

Contribution (not as author) to multiple publications: pending

I am engaged, and my fiance is in medical school in Portland OR. I have strong ties to my family and to the pacific northwest. My employment in biomedical research is at OHSU, an institution that I would really love to be a part of in continuing my education . Since getting into research I have felt that I can make a bigger diference as an MD/PHD, and hope that my experience at OHSU will help my application stand out (maybe not but I can dream right?).

I feel that I am a pretty strong essay writer, but am looking around for essay revisors, or people to pitch in some opinions. I have strong motivations to contribute to research and advocacy for people with developmental disabilities, and make that very clear in my personal statement.

I really just wanted to reach out and see what anyone has to say about my prospects of admission to MD/PHD, MD, or DO schools. I had an interview at a DO school last year but totally blew it, I'll be working on that this year. I plan to apply to western university of osteopathic medicine (DO), Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (DO), oregon health and science university (MD/PHD), and university of washington (MD/PHD)

Members don't see this ad.

I can take a look at essays if you PM me. You mentioned two previous application cycles, did you previously apply to your state school both times? If so, were you ever interviewed/ given feedback?

Just a view of my own experience. I was a "low" stat applicant (3.55, 35) with a prosthetic leg and missing fingers. My first cycle I was extremely out of it and applied to like 5 schools. What was I thinking?!!!!!! Second cycle I applied to 27, 3rd cycle I did 41 (2 admits). So you may not have this disability issue, but be sure to cast a WIDE net, is my point. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can take a look at essays if you PM me. You mentioned two previous application cycles, did you previously apply to your state school both times? If so, were you ever interviewed/ given feedback?

I applied to the same schools mentioned above for the previous two application cycles. I was given an interview at PNWU and was given very little guidance. They suggested a postbac due to my mediocre stats, so at least that was made clear. I'm really hoping that a killer MCAT can supplement this

Just a view of my own experience. I was a "low" stat applicant (3.55, 35) with a prosthetic leg and missing fingers. My first cycle I was extremely out of it and applied to like 5 schools. What was I thinking?!!!!!! Second cycle I applied to 27, 3rd cycle I did 41 (2 admits). So you may not have this disability issue, but be sure to cast a WIDE net, is my point. Good luck!!!

Thank you for the words of advice, you drive a very good point! I should probably look at branching out bit.

Reactions: 1 user