Technology Digital Recorders ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snake

Just climbin' the staff
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some schools post MP3s of lectures for students and some don't so I'm wondering...of those of you who attend schools that don't, do you record your own...when allowed of course?

And

If anyone does, what recommendations for recording devices do you have? Please say if you have one that works great and also if yours is a piece of crap so anyone else can stay away from that model.

I tried searching for previous threads about this topic but the latest I saw was 2005.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Former digital recorder user here.:)

As a Olympus DS-330 user, here are my experiences shifted to expectations:

1. Get a recorder that allows for computer downloads into mp3 - Without this feature, you have to overwrite files and/or have to review your work. My recorder used a weird propriety format that would required an additional step to convert to a wma and another step to get that wma to a mp3. It's more convenient to get a device that records directly to mp3 for use in an iPod or something.

2. Get a stereo recorder - Though you can always improve the quality by sitting closer to the lecturer, I generally had to strain when listening to my recordings at least a little because the monaural recording was literally scratchy. I never did buy a small external microphone to attach to my recorder, but I doubt it would have made a huge difference. Check the specifications of the device to see if it records in high quality stereo. These models will be more expensive and generally at least $150, but the quality is worth it. Get a device that has at least one higher setting than SP if you don't want to go the stereo route.

3. Get one with ample storage - You don't want to have to upload your files constantly and you want to allow yourself to have extra space to prevent having to overwrite files if you get so busy that you can't upload files.

4. Be wary of iPod recording peripherals - Though I do believe that there's a device that records in stereo, I hear that these devices drain the iPod battery quicker than a normal digital recorder. I suppose there could be more improvements to these peripherals now, but I'd read some reviews and tests before sacrificing function for convenience.

5. Get one with ample battery life - You don't want to replace batteries constantly, nor do you want to run out in the middle of the lecture.

6. You can always boost the quality of any recording by getting a miniature microphone since the better models have a mic plug-in port.

I had planned on getting a recorder that fits these parameters before I accepted a seat in a school that uses podcasts. Here are my devices I was examining but note that I haven't had a hands-on test with any of these products. I'd go to places like PriceGrabber.com, Consumer Reports, Amazon.com to read reviews about the quality a particular product.

1. Olympus WS series - Olympus is a little reputable in the recorder industry. Their WS-331M, WS-331M, WS-321M, WS-311M all boast a new stereo extra high quality mode. The cheapest model goes for $99,99 retail, which is a great price.

2. Sony series - Check out the link HERE but the most adequate model starts at $149.95

I hope this info helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I use an Olympus WS-320M. It uses one AAA battery and I can dump off my lectures to my laptop. I just play them with the Windows Media Player. I found that I didn't want to convert school lectures to mp3 format though I do use my Olympus WS-320M to make drill tapes that I convert to mp3 for listening on my mp3 player while exercising.

The microphone is quite sensitive but I have some noise canceling software that gets rid of the noise. I also use my Olympus for dictations and patient notes as I can dump off to the dictation system at my hospital. I paid about $100 for this recorder (which does play mp3s but I don't need that feature).

Wow! Thanks for the recommendations. I checked out those Olympus recorders. They look sooo cool, but geez they are expensive. Have you guys compared the sound recording of your Olympus recorders to an MP3 player that has a recorder built in?

Definitely check out NewEgg. Nothing can beat them in terms of service and price. It's sorted by lowest price first so you might want to sort it by "Best Rating."

I use the Olympus WS-100. I think it was about $80 when I bought it last Sept. Records as Winamp media files. Has a USB port for easy downloading. One AAA battery lasts ~14 hours.(Although I always change them before I get a 'low battery' warning to avoid it dying in the middle of a lecture).

Havent used it all summer but I found it worked great, especially if you are in a classroom where the prof is using a microphone. However, it will also pick up any tapping of the desk and even gently picking it up and putting it down sounds like a bang on playback. Try to put it on a soft surface (a book, on top of your bag) that will deaden the noise of desk tapping, pen dropping, etc. and somewhere where you won't have to disturb it.

Hardest part is figuring out what settings to use in the beginning (SP vs LP, high vs. low microphone sensitivity).

I would buy it again in a second. Also doubles as a thumb drive.