Digoxin effects on ECG ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeevee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain the effects of digoxin on ECG ?
↑PR , ↓QT , ST scooping and T wave inversion .I know it increases ionotropy and decreases HR how does that translate into ECG?

Members don't see this ad.

Shortening of the atrial and ventricular refractory periods — producing a short QT interval with secondary repolarisation abnormalities affecting the ST segments, T waves and U waves.

Increased vagal effects at the AV node — causing a prolonged PR interval.

(Per life in the fast lane)

Last edited:
This is more of how the physio of ions work with digoxin, but there is a little bit of how the EKG is affected.

Digoxin works on the sodium-potassium pump. The normal physiology as we may know is 3 Na+ go out to in exchange for 2K+ returned to the cell. It's MOA is by blocking the Na/K pump. So in this case, we have have increased sodium inside the cell and decreased potassium. So we have hypernatremia and hypokalemia. The only channels that are open all time are for potassium, so you will have potassium efflux, causing a more severe hypokalemia (this will be your T wave inversion). This will make the cell more negative and lead to a slurring of the QRS on the EKG (hockey sticking). This is the ST scooping I am guessing that the poster mentioned. When the pump is blocked at the very first moment, you will have momentary hyperkalemia (UWorld question)

Sodium is stuck inside the cell, making the cell more positive and more likely to depolarize. Causes in increase of seizures in the brain, arrhythmia in the heart, and diarrhea.

Normal physio dictates a sodium/calcium exchange as well, but sodium is trapped inside the cell. Calcium is stuck inside the cell, causing the atrium to depolarize, leading to atrial arryhthmias.

Normal physio also dictates that Chloride is in love with Sodium, and they are always together. So she will come inside, pulling water with her (normal physio), causing swelling throughout the body (ex: third spacing, peripheral edema, pleural effusions, ascites). In the eye, it causes swelling around the optic nerve leading to papilledema.

Last edited:
Can someone explain the effects of digoxin on ECG ?
↑PR , ↓QT , ST scooping and T wave inversion .I know it increases ionotropy and decreases HR how does that translate into ECG?
↑PR interval is due to the direct cholinergic effect, ↓QT is due to intracellular calcium accumulation. I'd have to guess on the ST-T changes, but working backwards I would say that since there's a heterogenous state of depolarization during the "isoelectric" period analogous to injury current, there are two possibilities: (1) there's variable myocardial sensitivity to the drug such that the subendocardium is especially affected (2) digoxin administration produces some baseline subendocardial ischemia.

@Instatewaiter