Dilema!!! Oh My!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfnturf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDNers,

I'm a newbie here but need your advice. I am about to graduate in a week from college :) and I am also in the military reserves (enlisted). I am preparing for Fall 2010 cycle and had planned to get out upon admission to dental school. They have no clue about my civilian aspirations and my commander just asked me about going to officer school. These slots don't open up on a regular basis and I am happy however, if I go, it would definately throw my dental plans off. Any advice on how I should handle the situation??

Members don't see this ad.

If you truly want to be a dentist talk to your commanding officer and tell him. I would also strongly suggest looking into taking the scholarship for which ever branch you are a part of. This way you become an officer and a dentist never mind that your dental expenses are paid for. I also imagine you will have a little more respect once you are back in the military due to your time as enlisted. You commanding can write you a letter that will significantly help your chances of obtaining the scholarship.

Thanks :)..but I thought scholarships would be for applicants considering active duty? I have no aspirations of going active duty however, I would consider going back into the reserves as a dentist but I dunno (sigh)

Members don't see this ad :)
For the scholarship you have to do a year of active for every year you take the scholarship (3 or 4 year option). Also you have the same amount of inactive ready reserve duty but almost never does a dentist get called from IRR so that is more so a formality or in the case of catastrophe.

From what I have heard if you take the scholarship you will be deployed at some time during your committed time so keep that in mind as you think about it especially if you don't want more active duty.

I thought so. Then I'm certainly not going to entertain taking a scholarship because I have no aspirations of going active however, I know from postings in my unit that you can come in as a reservist. Deployments..that depends on the needs and the unit. Some deploy more than others depending on what type of mission is supported. So, I would probally look into that and weigh my options.

Thanks a lot!!