Dilemma and Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I usually don't post here quite often but I need serious help. I am trying to take the September 1st MCAT and my parents are really pressurizing me into taking it then. I have taken the Princeton review free diagnostic and got a 496 and I took the Next Step FL#1 and got a 501. I haven't even done the AAMC tests yet and do you think I am rushing through this process? I am worried that if I don't take it now I will forget everything and that I will have to start studying all over again over Winter break. Do you think one month is enough to do the 4 of the NS FLs and the AAMC material? Can anyone help me please? I am also trying to get a 509.

Members don't see this ad.

One month is more than enough time to do the rest of your FLs and your AAMC material. Do the best you can. If you don't do well on your FLs, I don't see anything wrong with postponing. If you've been studying well you won't forget as much as you think you will!

Wait until you take the AAMC exam before making any decision. That score will tell you whether you are ready or not.

In the event you are short of your 509, please understand that it may have little to do with your knowledge of the material. It likely has more to do with your approach to questions and your ability to apply information. You mention that you are afraid of forgetting everything, which in all honesty puts up a red flag to me. If you learn your material in an integrated form by doing questions that make you think and you have answer explanations that emphasize the thought process, then you don't have to worry about recalling bulk information as much. You will be a better test taker (which is essential for getting a good score) and you'll be able to recall information much better, even months later.

Many people study for this exam completely wrong, trying to memorize information. They use materials that reinforce this approach and end up with a false sense of security. The MCAT is all about how you think, so make sure you spend your last month emphasizing how to think about concepts rather than being able to recall lists of fact about those concepts.

A perfect example is that memorizing an equation such a Bernoulli's Equation may make you feel good about knowing it. You may take practice questions in your prep materials that ask you to calculate or recall the equation, falsely affirming the importance of recalling it. Then on the MCAT you get a question that asks you why it is important to elevate a wound. This requires an actual understanding of the impact of height on pressure against the inside of a vessel. The student who was asked to think about applying that equation, rather than using it for calculations, will do great on the MCAT.