Dilemma at application time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KinesStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as a junior summertime & application is coming quickly for me. I've completed all my necessary prerequisites, have a decent amount of volunteer hours and am scheduled to take the GRE in July.

So, being the overly preemptive person I am, I contacted my two PT LOR people to give them a heads up that I would need a letter from them in about 2 months.

This is where the dilemma came into play, as I spoke with each of them individually, (completely different clinics and settings) they both told me not to do physical therapy. One of them suggested PA because it is less school/more money. The other therapist told me I will get bored with the continual monotony of therapy and all of the latest whims of new therapies coming out.

It is important to note, that up until this point, I had not idea these people were dissatisfied with their jobs. So dissatisfied in fact, that they would advise a student to look into other fields. I'm not trying to squash anyone's dreams but...should these things be considered??

I'm not particularly money hungry and I think I'll enjoy PT but is the 3 yrs / 75k investment worth the pay? Is the field challenging enough to keep your interest. I would value any opinion, but love one from a current PT/PT student. This is not another "PTs don't make enough money" thread.

I just have legitimate concerns and am a little shell shocked when I should be excited about applying. Now I'm questioning everything..

Members don't see this ad.

The places I've worked at the therapists all love their jobs. In fact, I've heard from many of the patients how happy the therapists seem. If it's all a show they're putting on, they've fooled me.

It's true that there are people in EVERY profession that wish they would've done something else... In fact, if I had stayed with my original profession I may have been doing the same thing to people shadowing me (persuaded them to go elsewhere only because I was dissatisfied.)

I understand that you are shocked, I would be too- especially after spending enough time with the PTs and thinking that they seemed happy!

I think that any profession is what you make of it, and yes, you will repeat things over and over, BUT every job does that! That's why it's part of the job description-- it's just whether that repetitiveness will bore you or if you are ok with it.

Try not to think about their opinions and think about your experiences with PT thus far-- even if they were "faking it" did you enjoy watching them/shadowing/asking questions/etc. Ultimately this is about YOU and if you want to do PT, then you shouldn't stop only because a couple are unhappy with their jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies so far guys. I guess their opinions carried so much weight with me because they were/are my mentors in the field. It's good to hear that you guys have seen therapists that enjoy their jobs.

I also agree with you in that your job will be what you make of it. If I got bored with the same treatment over and over I feel like I would change-up the treatments...I feel like the patients would benefit more from variety as well.

I honestly could not be happier where I am. I don't even know what else I would be doing with my life...as cheesy as that may sound haha. Money is a huge factor. Personally, I'm in-state and go to a very affordable program, so that aspect is not as daunting for me. However, I was willing to go out of state and put myself in 3x as much debt while I was applying. There's always a line to draw though. Gotta be smart about this. In regards to the field itself...you have SO MANY options! That's one of the biggest thing that appealed to me about PT. If you find that you don't like op ortho/neuro/acute...you can always explore burn care/peds/schools.

I would be a little shocked in your position too. But, there's always going to be those people that are unhappy with their jobs. PT isn't for everyone. Just remember, you are not them! If you feel content with this, don't let their opinions affect you.

What setting were these people in? It could be easy to get bored doing the same thing day in day out, but isn't that their choice? They could get continuing ed and change settings. PT is a lot more than strained backs! I did obs hours in burn unit (very challenging--I don't know if I could ever get used to it), worker's comp, neurorehab, etc.
I've worked for years in a field where I can easily make 6 figures--many do with little education--but I'm not fulfilled. A PT changed my life and took me out of a world of constant pain. If I don't make huge money doing that for others, then so be it--I'll work knowing that I can make a difference.
I also shadowed PAs, ARNPs, audiologists, SLPs, etc--SLP didn't interest me much; the others all seemed to have 5-10 min per patient max, and PA/ARNP are just lackeys for doctors with little decision power and little time to spend with each patient. As a Family nurse practitioner, you can make $85-90k a year in a drugstore minute clinic treating sore throats and runny noses. If you want easy money, go that direction, but really, shadow each job that you're considering before you make any decisions.