bozz

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
There is one school in particular that I love. It is my #1 choice and I enjoyed my interview experience there thoroughly.

There is also another school that I like (similarly ranked) but is 1/3 the cost of school #1.

I've interviewed at these places but haven't been accepted.. and school #1 makes a decision before Christmas and is notorious for placing ton of people on their waitlist. Should I sent a letter of intent there? If it's my #1 choice, I wouldn't want to hang around waiting for a waitlist spot to send one in.

The other thing that makes it hard is that school #2 is much cheaper. I may very well be rejected at both schools.. who knows? But I really want school #1 to know they're my number 1 choice. When you send a letter of intent and get in, are you committed to going there? Because there are other factors that affect your decision as well.. such as $

shemarty

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
There is one school in particular that I love. It is my #1 choice and I enjoyed my interview experience there thoroughly.

There is also another school that I like (similarly ranked) but is 1/3 the cost of school #1.

I've interviewed at these places but haven't been accepted.. and school #1 makes a decision before Christmas and is notorious for placing ton of people on their waitlist. Should I sent a letter of intent there? If it's my #1 choice, I wouldn't want to hang around waiting for a waitlist spot to send one in.

The other thing that makes it hard is that school #2 is much cheaper. I may very well be rejected at both schools.. who knows? But I really want school #1 to know they're my number 1 choice. When you send a letter of intent and get in, are you committed to going there? Because there are other factors that affect your decision as well.. such as $

If you send a letter of intent, the letter essentially says "if you accept me i promise I will matriculate."

In that case, yes, you are promising that you will matriculate if they accept you.

If you're not 100% sure that school 1 is your top choice, then you can send them a letter of interest, which says "I really really really like this school and I am perfect for it. Please accept me!" but you are not promising to matriculate if they accept you

katarina90

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Nevada
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Lol at the overuse of the word "dilemma" lately....

But no, I agree with shemarty. If you're not sure, then don't send a letter of intent. If you want to send something and you're not positive, send a letter of interest...

About the Ads

oober

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

I've heard people using the phrase: "If accepted, I will matriculate to your school, given that it is financially feasible." Although I'm not sure if it's considered a letter of intent once you put that condition in there. But yeah, once you write a letter of intent, you are essentially throwing away your chances at financial aid, since you are promising that you will go there.

UVAbme2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
1/3 the cost for a school that has a similar reputation? You are CRAZY if you pass that up if you ask me.

student1799

"Señora” to you, hombre
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I've heard people using the phrase: "If accepted, I will matriculate to your school, given that it is financially feasible." Although I'm not sure if it's considered a letter of intent once you put that condition in there.

According to my postbacc program, the "financially feasible" clause is not really an out: if you promise to go once admitted, you're committed to that school. IMO, that's a really dangerous thing to do until you know what your options are--especially considering that it's only November.

In the OP's situation, I'd write an letter of interest instead. If you get into your #2 choice and get waitlisted at the top choice, you can always write a letter of intent at that point ("I will give up my acceptance to school X if offered admission at your school"). But such a letter won't be convincing unless there are NO conditions attached.

gopher22

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
There's no discrete difference between letters of interest and intent--just write it like you mean it and call it what you'd like. I think that the financial feasibility clause is perfectly acceptable. Also, when you're writing your letter, its probably helpful to include academic and extracurricular updates because pure desire might not be enough.

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I've asked this before, but never got any input on it...

If I send LO interest.. in addition to activity update and reiterating my interest, I can possibly mention that the school is one of my top choice schools.

bozz

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2007
Status (Visible)
Thanks guys

I thought many people write letters of interest to multiple schools.. I plan to send mine to this one specifically and stand out.

Anyone have wording advice? "One of my top schools" sounds weird. Would something more ambiguous like "your school is at the top of my medical school list" be more appropriate?

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks guys

I thought many people write letters of interest to multiple schools.. I plan to send mine to this one specifically and stand out.

Anyone have wording advice? "One of my top schools" sounds weird. Would something more ambiguous like "your school is at the top of my medical school list" be more appropriate?

heh i like mine better! but i guess you can use that too

katarina90

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2008
Nevada
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks guys

Imho, "your school is at the top of my medical school list" sounds kind of awkward, the wording of it...its almost like wanting to say "you're my top school" but avoiding it...

I would say something to the extent of "I was very pleased to interview at (your school), and appreciate the excellent opportunites and education (insert school here) offers. (Insert school here) is uniquely suited to my interests/needs/etc. because...(and then go on to talk about what you liked about them). (Insert school here) would be an excellent place to further my education, and is definitely among my top choices."

But that's just my opinion...I'm interested to see what others have to say.

rowerlauren

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2008
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
What about "X school is my top choice. I would be a great fit because of blah blah blah. If accepted and I am able to afford to attend I do not see myself matriculating anywhere else."

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Imho, "your school is at the top of my medical school list" sounds kind of awkward, the wording of it...its almost like wanting to say "you're my top school" but avoiding it...

I would say something to the extent of "I was very pleased to interview at (your school), and appreciate the excellent opportunites and education (insert school here) offers. (Insert school here) is uniquely suited to my interests/needs/etc. because...(and then go on to talk about what you liked about them). (Insert school here) would be an excellent place to further my education, and is definitely among my top choices."

But that's just my opinion...I'm interested to see what others have to say.

Kinda like what I said... but it sounds a lot better

student1799

"Señora” to you, hombre
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
(Insert school here) would be an excellent place to further my education, and is definitely among my top choices."

Why would you ever want to tell a school they're "one of" your top choices? IMO, that's worse than saying nothing at all. Let me make an analogy: imagine you're a guy trying to make headway with a girl. Would you say "You're beautiful and I love spending time with you," or "You're one of the better-looking girls I've dated"?

Tell the school how much you love THEM and leave it at that.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.