dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flako

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored an 18L (5V, 6B, 7P).......should I even bother to study for the august one? I used kaplan and ended up scoring much lower than my practice tests. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you still intend to apply to medical schools for this cycle?

If so, it is IMPERATIVE that you take the August test and increase by no fewer than 6-8 points.

If you do not intend to apply this cycle, don't bother taking it in August- take it next April and apply for '06 admissions.

Retake it in August but think about a masters program for next year. Sometimes if you take the same courses med students take and you get A's and B's in the classes then med schools will realize you can do the work. Try to find a masters program afflicated with a med school. There are many people in your situation. Just don't give up. Best of luck.

Most of these masters programs require an MCAT of 27+, so if youre interested, definitely retake, and you could attend during 05-06 school year while applying for 06 admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was planning to apply this august and my application is ready to go, but with this low score I'm very discouraged. I could take it again in august 04, but do I wait to send my application until I take it or after?

If you are serious about retaking in August do NOT wait until the August scores are up to then submit AMCAS. That will entail a huge delay...send in AMCAS now mark on there retaking August MCAT. Good luck.

I scored low as well, and have realized that I will not be able to improve 6-7 points in 2 1/2 months. I know it sucks to have to wait until April to take the MCAT again, but I feel that with so much preparation I will be bound to do much better. You should seriously consider doing the same.

flako said:
I scored an 18L (5V, 6B, 7P).......should I even bother to study for the august one? I used kaplan and ended up scoring much lower than my practice tests. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
guys, i'm preparing for the august mcat ... and i just wanted to get feedback from you (especially from those of you who scored really well in april) about some of the best study techniques ... and review material for the mcat. i've been alot about examkrackers ... are they really that good!

P.S.: if anyone is interesed in selling their books - examkrackers/ audio osmosis e-mail me @ [email protected]

Thanks much!