dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flossyourteeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- so I am new here and would like to know what you guys think. I am a from Alberta, Canada and I am 24, I have always to be a dentist but I got side-tracked along the way so didnt so well on my DAT and some courses at school. I partied, drank and did all that i shouldnt have. Later, I decided to take charge of me and now, my gpa is around a 3.5ish. So, I am applying to some american schools because I am planning to move to states since I have immediate family there. I actually applied to chiropractic colleges across america and canada and got in, but now I am thinking about not going to chiro college since I really want to do dental school in states.

I called a few schools that i was interested in and i got a mixed reaction, to some i explained that its wise for me to attend chiro school for a year because there is no contract or guarantee that i will get into d-school and i could potentially waste a year of my life. Some places said that its okay that i m attending chiro school while i apply to dental but some also said that it may not be favoured since i m not showing commitment to dental school.
I even asked that in one of the sections of that AADSAS application, it asks "Have you previously, or are you currently applying to a health profession school other than dental school?" AND "If yes, indicate school(s), type of program, year applied, and also indicate if you were accepted and/or enrolled".
So, due to ethical reasons I have to say yes to the first question and to the second one, i could say "accepted but decided to not go because I love dentistry".
The problem is that I am not sure if I will make the right decision by not going to it because I may not get into dental school and I could "waste" another year of my life. Also, If I do say "accepted and enrolled", I may lower my chances of getting into dental because it shows a lack of commitment and also that "if this student dropped out of one school, they could also drop out of this one, flip flop person". So, Iam really confused , so is there anyone that can help me out? Tomorrow I will contact some places and inquire about this more. Do you guys know whether its possible to find out which institution some one is attending by looking at their social security card info? even if i say "accepted and decided not to go", I could say in my interview (if i get any) that i was not too sure at the time of application whether i will go to C-school or not, so I decided to go to C school later on after the submission of the application. So in this way, its really not a lie. Could I get into some sort of ethical or legal trouble for this? My intentions are good but could this be a problem? Could I just explain why I applied to C school in my personal statement? I dont want to lie but at the same time I dont want to waste another year of my life to count on dentistry. HELPPPPPPPP! PLEASE!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi- so I am new here and would like to know what you guys think. I am a from Alberta, Canada and I am 24, I have always to be a dentist but I got side-tracked along the way so didnt so well on my DAT and some courses at school. I partied, drank and did all that i shouldnt have. Later, I decided to take charge of me and now, my gpa is around a 3.5ish. So, I am applying to some american schools because I am planning to move to states since I have immediate family there. I actually applied to chiropractic colleges across america and canada and got in, but now I am thinking about not going to chiro college since I really want to do dental school in states.

I called a few schools that i was interested in and i got a mixed reaction, to some i explained that its wise for me to attend chiro school for a year because there is no contract or guarantee that i will get into d-school and i could potentially waste a year of my life. Some places said that its okay that i m attending chiro school while i apply to dental but some also said that it may not be favoured since i m not showing commitment to dental school.
I even asked that in one of the sections of that AADSAS application, it asks "Have you previously, or are you currently applying to a health profession school other than dental school?" AND "If yes, indicate school(s), type of program, year applied, and also indicate if you were accepted and/or enrolled".
So, due to ethical reasons I have to say yes to the first question and to the second one, i could say "accepted but decided to not go because I love dentistry".
The problem is that I am not sure if I will make the right decision by not going to it because I may not get into dental school and I could "waste" another year of my life. Also, If I do say "accepted and enrolled", I may lower my chances of getting into dental because it shows a lack of commitment and also that "if this student dropped out of one school, they could also drop out of this one, flip flop person". So, Iam really confused , so is there anyone that can help me out? Tomorrow I will contact some places and inquire about this more. Do you guys know whether its possible to find out which institution some one is attending by looking at their social security card info? even if i say "accepted and decided not to go", I could say in my interview (if i get any) that i was not too sure at the time of application whether i will go to C-school or not, so I decided to go to C school later on after the submission of the application. So in this way, its really not a lie. Could I get into some sort of ethical or legal trouble for this? My intentions are good but could this be a problem? Could I just explain why I applied to C school in my personal statement? I dont want to lie but at the same time I dont want to waste another year of my life to count on dentistry. HELPPPPPPPP! PLEASE!

ummmm, wow...ok...I feel like Maury or something, that was a ltitle insane, it got me stressed out...first off, calm down. Second your GPA is good, I don't know what your DAT looks like, but as far as GPA your fine. Next, you need to decide what you really want, if you want to do dentistry stick to it, some people have spent more than only one year trying to get in, so don't be so impatient. I know personally I will apply year after year until they are so sick of seeing my application that someone accepts me. So if dentistry is what it's going to be then dedicate yourself completly to it, and it'll work out. Now you also have to understand about your whole both schools dilemma that you're never going to have the best of both worlds, there is always something you are going to have to sacrifice. Now when you decide that dentistry is REALLY what you want to do, come back to the forum and then we can help you out with things like your DAT and different parts of the app. Point is though, if you apply to other health professions it isn't looked favorably upon because you don't look serious, you look desperate. Good luck and I hope you figure it out.

-One last thing...if you partied too hard, drank and fooled around and all that non-sense how is a slip up a 3.5? The last slip up I had I wanted to drown myself in whatever it is I slipped in...it def. didn't leave me at a 3.5...lol

I really dont think there is anything wrong with mentioning this in ur app if you can explain it in ur letter. It actually shows that you are intelligent for pulling up ur grades and deciding to shape up in ur life. So good job for that! You rose above all that non-sense. If I were you, I wouldnt even mention it in my app. They wont even know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plus, its not like they are watching you over 1000s of other applicants... so breathe.

I think you should fill out your Dental School application truthfully, but maybe consider writing a cover letter or something in addition to your application that briefly explains that your passion is truly dentistry (chiropractic school is just the filler).

Good luck!