Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matt291

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a bit of a crossroads here;

I'm going into my senior year to finish up my degree at Georgia State in Atlanta, but, unfortunately, my grades are not where they need to be for competitive purposes. I'm quite aware of this so I'm considering applying to the next application cycle for the matriculating class of 2011.

My question to you is, would it be a total waste of my money/time to apply for the 2010 cycle if I know my GPA is nowhere near where it needs to be (about a 2.6) in order to be competitive? I ask this because I know my extracurriculars look very good:

-3 years interning with an ortho
-own my own company
-founder and president of a university athletics team
-Research project pioneer with bio department
-lots of community service

But, would these endeavors even begin to tip the scale in my favor?
Also, I have yet to take the DAT...

Members don't see this ad.

I would say your gpa is well below average and if you got really good DAT scores, you might start to tip the scales in your favor to schools who favor DAT scores. Although your EC's might be solid, you need to get the first 2 pieces in place, GPA and DAT because those will ultimately control your fate. Those are the 2 most difficult pieces of the process. I would focus on getting your gpa up, maybe some post-bacc program or a masters would help. You also need to really put in a lot of time and effort into your DAT, if you do average on that, its not looking good for the near future. The one thing you may have in your favor is that you are a Georgia resident. I dont know much about the Georgia Dental school but they almost exclusively choose georgia residents and im guessing the competition is really much lower then outside your state. Call Georgia DS and talk to them about it.

Matt, I have to agree. My gpa was less than good as well, and spend 3 years trying to get in; working on resume building (research, volunteer, tutoring, teaching, retaking classes, more classes etc...)and 3 years hands on as a dental assistant. I finally did get in with a 3.1gpa science, 3.3gpa overall and a 19/20DAT, however I truly believe I got lucky. Most schools will let you know what their minimum GPA is, which is usually a 3.0, without that they don't look into your application any further to see the extra work you've done; that stuff will only come into play when you've cleared the minimum. If you can get your GPA up to that, then ROCK the DAT's you will be in the running, it may just take time. Sincerely good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like doing well on the DAT (20+) and maybe a post bacc or masters program is your solution.

Or you can just do really really really well on the DAT and get into DAT-phillic schools like Columbia or UoP. I'm in a similair position and am considering a masters program

Hey everyone, I'm a bit of a crossroads here;

I'm going into my senior year to finish up my degree at Georgia State in Atlanta, but, unfortunately, my grades are not where they need to be for competitive purposes. I'm quite aware of this so I'm considering applying to the next application cycle for the matriculating class of 2011.

My question to you is, would it be a total waste of my money/time to apply for the 2010 cycle if I know my GPA is nowhere near where it needs to be (about a 2.6) in order to be competitive? I ask this because I know my extracurriculars look very good:

-3 years interning with an ortho
-own my own company
-founder and president of a university athletics team
-Research project pioneer with bio department
-lots of community service

But, would these endeavors even begin to tip the scale in my favor?
Also, I have yet to take the DAT...

Yes, it would be a complete waste of money and time to apply with that GPA during any cycle (sorry I don't mean to be harsh). You need to boost that GPA. Many people will tell you high DAT scores will overshadow your low GPA, but that simply isn't true. You can't make up for 4 years of undergrad just by taking a standardized test. GPA and DAT are both important components of your application and they need to be equally competitive. I would strongly encourage you to work on improving that GPA.

Yes, it would be a complete waste of money and time to apply with that GPA during any cycle (sorry I don't mean to be harsh). You need to boost that GPA. Many people will tell you high DAT scores will overshadow your low GPA, but that simply isn't true. You can't make up for 4 years of undergrad just by taking a standardized test. GPA and DAT are both important components of your application and they need to be equally competitive. I would strongly encourage you to work on improving that GPA.

I agree with NZE here.

Perhaps you could take the DAT now, while everything is fresh in your head. then take so a specialty masters prgoram (2 years no dissertation) and apply when your GPA is bumped a little. DAT scores last for 3 years.

Or you can alter that route and take your DAT in between your SMP, iif your SMP is like bio or chem based, because that will help you with the dat.

All in all, your GPA will put you at the bottom of the applicant pool if not thrown out immediately (IU dental has already rejected people who havent even taken the DAT but have a low gpa. . . ). Dental school is competitive and i presonally do not think that your gpa matches that competitiveness.

On a upper note, i dont mean ot be totally cynical here, your extra curriculars are pretty ballin. You have a drive and initiative rarely seen in someone in their early adult years. I feel that if the adcoms had a chance to review your full app you would be given a good chance. But the way i have come to understand the app process it is a series of steps where your app will be rejected if it fails to meet the reqs at each step; starting with gpa then dat then ecs/lor/ps, etc.

good luck