Apr 26, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey guys. I've been checking out posts here for a while here, and a lot of information on this board has really helped me. I have a situation. I just got accepted into the SMDEP program for the Howard University program, and the UCLA program. I've only got 2 days to confirm which one I want to go to, but I really don't have an idea on what I'm to expect from either.

I'm strongly leaning towards Cali, simply because I've never been there before, and I fell it will be a good experience. But the preparation (flight ticket, transportation when I get there, etc. ) has me over thinking things. It might cost me way more. :(

I'm a Maryland guy, so I'm pretty familiar with Howard. Things would be cheaper and more convenient, but I can go up there anytime right? I think it'll be kind of pointless.....

I know there should be some SMDEP alumni that can offer their opinion.
Could someone please shed a little light on both programs (including their respective stipends), in order to help me make a better decision?:scared:

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Dental
I am not a SMDEP alumni and do not know anything about the program but....

I am familiar with LA and can tell you that

- it is crazy to live here if you are not used to living in a BIG city. Driving is mad+ always traffic, and housing is really expensive.

- UCLA is a big name school, people are nice and the weather is good generally

Jun 26, 2009
Status
Ultimately, I would go to Howard. UCLA is a better name, and it might look better on your CV when you apply to dental school. But that's about it. Even if you attend UCLA, as an OOS you would have to have great stats and a stellar DAT score in order to gain acceptance into the program as a student.

At Howard (traditionally) they would have a more intimate approach, where you could meet all of the higher-ups at the school and make yourself known. If you make a good impression, I would think that Howard's adcom would remember you a little better than those at UCLA simply due to numbers.

Finally, your participation in these type of programs is great, but it is NOT a guarantee that you will get into either school. You want to make the most of the experience, make any future contacts you can, and have fun learning as much about the profession as you can. Having said that, it makes sense to go with the cheaper alternative. Good luck!