Diminishing Returns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalfeet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay first off, I wasn't sure if this should go in this thread or MCAT discussions because it's a little bit of both :X. I wanted to know your guys's opinions on how I should split/prioritize my study time..

Here's the scenario:

I'm signed up for Sept 6 MCAT, and I'm also currently taking a condensed biochem course that will last until mid-June. I've sort of structured it so that I have about 4 months to study before the MCAT while juggling the course. Now, the course takes up a sizeable amount of time (all morning, and about 2 hours every other day of studying/homework-ing), but it isn't too bad since the instructor has said he REALLY doesn't want to give anyone grades lower than an A- (it's a tiny class). However, the difference between making an A- and an A is going to be significant (essentially, be rank #1/4 students to get the A because everyone else will get A-) in terms of study time since the tests are actually pretty difficult, and there's this one kid who manages to pull A's regardless..haha so I'd have to try and beat him at it (not saying it in a gunner kind of way).

I just don't know if it's worth all the effort for that extra 0.3. I usually will spend the day before the exams (one midterm a week!) studying exclusively for the class so that's a non-MCAT day. I'm also juggling research and clinical volunteering as well, so two of the days are definitely blocked out as non-MCAT days. Some people have said since I'm almost 4 months out before the MCAT, it's smarter to focus more on my class and that I'd have plenty of time to work on MCAT later. What does SDN think?

Members don't see this ad.

A professor that only gives As?.... What the hell, does it really matter in the end? Can you PM me the school/professor because I'd love that.

Okay first off, I wasn't sure if this should go in this thread or MCAT discussions because it's a little bit of both :X. I wanted to know your guys's opinions on how I should split/prioritize my study time..

Here's the scenario:

I'm signed up for Sept 6 MCAT, and I'm also currently taking a condensed biochem course that will last until mid-June. I've sort of structured it so that I have about 4 months to study before the MCAT while juggling the course. Now, the course takes up a sizeable amount of time (all morning, and about 2 hours every other day of studying/homework-ing), but it isn't too bad since the instructor has said he REALLY doesn't want to give anyone grades lower than an A- (it's a tiny class). However, the difference between making an A- and an A is going to be significant (essentially, be rank #1/4 students to get the A because everyone else will get A-) in terms of study time since the tests are actually pretty difficult, and there's this one kid who manages to pull A's regardless..haha so I'd have to try and beat him at it (not saying it in a gunner kind of way).

I just don't know if it's worth all the effort for that extra 0.3. I usually will spend the day before the exams (one midterm a week!) studying exclusively for the class so that's a non-MCAT day. I'm also juggling research and clinical volunteering as well, so two of the days are definitely blocked out as non-MCAT days. Some people have said since I'm almost 4 months out before the MCAT, it's smarter to focus more on my class and that I'd have plenty of time to work on MCAT later. What does SDN think?
It will be worth your time to check what biochem material is going to be on your mcat. Other than that i would see no reason to worry about it.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

A professor that only gives As?.... What the hell, does it really matter in the end? Can you PM me the school/professor because I'd love that.
Haha it's because there's only 4 students in the class :) He says for sure next time this class is offered and it has a full class, the grading won't be as lax.

Yeah..I suppose it sounds almost neurotic that questioning myself over A- vs A. Although the real question is whether or not the amount of extra effort is worth it..?