Direct Admits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMDrMoe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is it to have direct admitting privileges as an EM doc?

I noticed it mentioned in the EM vs. Surgery post (thanks roja :) ) and wondered if it was at all common. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally a "direct admit" has nothing to do with ER docs. It refers to a patient sent to the hospital by a doc (usually the PMD) with orders who is admitted bypassing the ER entirely. Unfortunately in my world insurance companies have made the miracle of direct admit almost impossible so scads of pts roll in annoyed by the wait for the ER having sent by their PMDs.

We do "stable admits" when a patient is to be admitted to a service and already has a bed assignment, but that service has not or cannot come down to see the patient. This is of course, by name and policy, only for STABLE patients.

I think what the OP meant was direct admitting privilages from the ED. Do you have to get your admissions 'approved'.

Our services are not allowed to refuse an admission. (ortho, surgery, medicine, etc) and thus we do not have to fight for our admissions. Of course, naturally, other services will try and dump on medicine but we have policies in place for that...