Direct Entry MSN Programs? anyone applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rb4hu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was originally considering a second degree BSN program but wanted to see what people think of Direct Entry MSN programs which allow you to receive a BSN/MSN. Is anyone applying for this upcoming cycle? If so, what kind of experience, grades, exam scores do you have?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm considering the program as well.

No experience in healthcare.
Have completed seven of the pre-requisites (4.0), and have four more to go.
Haven't taken TEAS yet.

which programs are you considering?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I was originally considering a second degree BSN program but wanted to see what people think of Direct Entry MSN programs which allow you to receive a BSN/MSN. Is anyone applying for this upcoming cycle? If so, what kind of experience, grades, exam scores do you have?

I'm applying to several programs this fall. Uh, my undergrad GPA is 3.8 (psych) and my nursing prereq GPA is 4.0. 1380 GRE. I have a lot of experience in psych research, including conducting my own independent research (honors thesis), poster session at a national conference, etc. I also worked on a study where I did clinical assessments. I worked for a research group and I'm volunteering at a hospital where I work directly with patients.

Keep in mind that some people are very critical of direct entry programs. I think it really depends on your background and career goals whether or not direct entry is a good idea.

which programs are you considering?

Samuel Merritt has a program. However, as I understand it they only award the MSN not BSN. You get your RN at the end of the first 14 months, and your MSN upon completion of the program. They also have a PA program that seems interesting.

Though I often debate this approach considering that there are other programs in the area where I can complete an ADN RN at very low cost in around the same time frame and obtain the BSN/MSN with evening classes (paid for by the hospitals in the area if you work there).

I'm applying to several programs this fall. Uh, my undergrad GPA is 3.8 (psych) and my nursing prereq GPA is 4.0. 1380 GRE. I have a lot of experience in psych research, including conducting my own independent research (honors thesis), poster session at a national conference, etc. I also worked on a study where I did clinical assessments. I worked for a research group and I'm volunteering at a hospital where I work directly with patients.

Keep in mind that some people are very critical of direct entry programs. I think it really depends on your background and career goals whether or not direct entry is a good idea.

Which people? Any people that matter? Depends on what exactly?

An experienced ADN may not be pleased having to work with a new NP that has less experience, but such is life.

Which people? Any people that matter? Depends on what exactly?

An experienced ADN may not be pleased having to work with a new NP that has less experience, but such is life.

Yeah but you have to work with these people day in and day out. Having their respect is a good thing. It really depends on the person. I have met some practicing NPs and PAs who don't see RN experience as a big deal, others see it as vital, some think it depends on your background and chosen specialty, etc. Have you worked or volunteered in a healthcare setting? You can tell people about your plans, get their opinions... it's always good to get healthcare experience and converse with people who have taken a similar path that you're planning on.