Direct patient care hours opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which position would you say would be best received by admissions?

• Medical Assistant at private practice

• Care Assistant at hospital

• Research Screener at hospital

Results are only viewable after voting.

goheels1229

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just graduated from a major university and am looking into multiple job opportunities, but am looking for second opinions as to which would make me a stronger candidate and/or best prepare me for the PA career path.

I have three options currently: work as a medical assistant at a private practice pediatricians office, a care assistant in the internal medicine clinic at a prominent university hospital, or as a research screener at this same hospital's infectious disease clinic.

Duties would be:

Research Screener (HIV clinic):
  • Reviewing patient’s electronic medical records to determine which patients are eligible for current HIV studies
  • Working with the PAs, NPs and doctors in the clinic to determine if the patient would be a good candidate for certain studies
  • Entering exam rooms before providers and notifying qualified patients about any clinical studies they may be eligible for; discussing their potential role in the study
  • Screening HIV-positive patients for depression and nutritional competency, as certain HIV drugs administered can worsen depression and are required to be taken alongside a 400-calorie meal
Medical Assistant (private practice, peds):
  • Take vitals & measurements (head circumference, height, weight) and enter them into EMR
  • Take medical history
  • Discuss immunizations with parents
  • Prepare and administer any necessary immunizations or medications, per direction by physician or PA
  • Preparing patients for examination
Care Assistant (internal medicine):
  • Scribing part-time for doctors in the Internal Medicine clinic
  • Conducting enrollment appointments for new patients in the Chronic Disease Enhanced Care program (patients can enroll for diabetes, COPD, depression, chronic pain)
  • Symptom assessment
  • Patient education on inhaler use, insulin injections, etc. as needed
  • Collaborate with providers to manage chronic diseases such as diabetes, COPD, depression, pain, and hypertension

For the medical assistant position, the biggest draw is that I can live at home and save lots of $$$/pay off undergraduate loans. It's in a major city. The other two are in a college town and would require me to pay rent and other expenses.

If you have any input on which would be best, please comment below!
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with medical assistant job and never look back.