Directorship situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time follower here and have a what I feel like is a strange situation at my workplace. I'm currently the director at my local EM shop. A new doc came in he is EM trained, and seems competent. This guy has been here a little over a month and has become involved in decision making that I believe crosses the line. We recently opened a FSED and without my knowledge or even discussing it he made changes to the pharmacy formulary. He has also been offering leadership positions to nurses that are working at the facility. He keeps telling the nursing staff he was brought here to help me. When I ask my CMG leaders they have no knowledge of this. He made quick friends with our CEO and texts him frequently. Multiple times he has bypassed me with ideas, changes etc and gone strait to the CEO and had meetings without my knowledge. He was then accused of an inappropriate relationship with a nurse. The CEO called me and basically told me he considers this guy a friend and doesn't believe any of the accusations that were brought by nursing staff. Basically because of the friendship he dismissed the claims. My question is what would you do? I have addressed the problem directly with the doc. I have told him multiple times to please include me in any meetings with admin and continually find out that he is not. I also made it clear that his only responsibilities were to show up and provide good care at this point and leave the leadership stuff to me. My CMG says I have full authority from them to shut this down but the guy has formed a friendship with the CEO. I'm considering resigning at this point. Thoughts????

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you'll need a paper trail if you want to do anything about this person.

Members don't see this ad :)
Long time follower here and have a what I feel like is a strange situation at my workplace. I'm currently the director at my local EM shop. A new doc came in he is EM trained, and seems competent. This guy has been here a little over a month and has become involved in decision making that I believe crosses the line. We recently opened a FSED and without my knowledge or even discussing it he made changes to the pharmacy formulary. He has also been offering leadership positions to nurses that are working at the facility. He keeps telling the nursing staff he was brought here to help me. When I ask my CMG leaders they have no knowledge of this. He made quick friends with our CEO and texts him frequently. Multiple times he has bypassed me with ideas, changes etc and gone strait to the CEO and had meetings without my knowledge. He was then accused of an inappropriate relationship with a nurse. The CEO called me and basically told me he considers this guy a friend and doesn't believe any of the accusations that were brought by nursing staff. Basically because of the friendship he dismissed the claims. My question is what would you do? I have addressed the problem directly with the doc. I have told him multiple times to please include me in any meetings with admin and continually find out that he is not. I also made it clear that his only responsibilities were to show up and provide good care at this point and leave the leadership stuff to me. My CMG says I have full authority from them to shut this down but the guy has formed a friendship with the CEO. I'm considering resigning at this point. Thoughts????

(The following is not to be construed as legal advice. In fact this is note advice at all. It's fictional, and not to construed as what to actually do, in any way shape or form)

Seems to me "this guy" should be resigning, not the ED director. It's almost like he's challenging your authority; a coup of sorts. You could make a play to terminate him and if you're blocked by the CEO, you know who's really the ED director: "That guy" and not you. Of course, before doing so, document all the workplace disruption that's occurred, so you're covered if the termination is challenged, unless you can do it "without cause." Sometimes that's cleaner. Otherwise, if you don't have the stomach for it, and you're not willing to exert your authority as director, then yes, resign and let someone who wants the drama, have at it. There are advantages to being a working stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
What bird strike said, except for the resign part.

I don't think you should resign, you didn't do anything wrong. Fire him, and at the same time, make sure you've got a backup locums gig in case things go awry. But if you're going to go down, then take this guy with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
(The following is not to be construed as legal advice. In fact this is note advice at all. It's fictional, and not to construed as what to actually do, in any way shape or form)

Seems to me "this guy" should be resigning, not the ED director. It's almost like he's challenging your authority; a coup of sorts. You could make a play to terminate him and if you're blocked by the CEO, you know who's really the ED director: "That guy" and not you. Of course, before doing so, document all the workplace disruption that's occurred, so you're covered if the termination is challenged, unless you can do it "without cause." Sometimes that's cleaner. Otherwise, if you don't have the stomach for it, and you're not willing to exert your authority as director, then yes, resign and let someone who wants the drama, have at it. There are advantages to being a working stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

He's alive!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Again like above. What is wrong with firing him. If you have backing of the CMG and given the authority, fire him.

Tell the guy/gal above you that you will fire him and inform them that they may get pushback from the CEO (kind of a flake too to just blow of an inappropriate relationship HR nightmare). Tell them that they will need to back you up if CEO pushes back. I am sure they are long time friends and not something recent.

Done

If they will not back you up, tell them they need to find a new Director tomorrow b/c going forward with your legs chopped off as a director is a losing battle.

If you are valuable enough, they will side with you. If you are not, you are not to be the director long anyhow.

Just make sure you are following company policy as far as firing procedure. That typically includes documenting a formal "counseling" session with an action plan to be followed. You need to document on the action plan specific areas for improvement, and specific behaviors that need to change. Typically you would include a review period of a 30-60 days. If you haven't already done this, you may be stuck with that person, until you go through the process. You are more likely to get the CEO's approval if you have gone through all the steps, and documented everything appropriately. Outright firing the person may lead to litigation, and I have seen that happen before.

Reactions: 1 users