Hypothetical Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepyMeerkat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say hypothetically that an African American male was brought into a world famous trauma center after being in police custody. Then, hypothetically, the patient died, and the news media picked up on the story and claimed the death was secondary to severe spinal cord injury. Hypothetically, would the media be correct, or would this just be another case of the media not really having a good understanding of the situation they are reporting?

Members don't see this ad.

Let's say hypothetically that an African American male was brought into a world famous trauma center after being in police custody. Then, hypothetically, the patient died, and the news media picked up on the story and claimed the death was secondary to severe spinal cord injury. Hypothetically, would the media be correct, or would this just be another case of the media not really having a good understanding of the situation they are reporting?

The media tends to get things wrong initially because there's not time to fact check in the rush to get the news out first. In this particular hypothetical, both family and police are quoted as stating there was a spinal cord injury and family stated he underwent surgery on his cervical spine. So it's a reasonable hypothesis to believe he died from a high cervical spine injury likely leading to severe anoxic brain injury given that they don't usually operate on corpses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you trying to get people to weigh in on a real life case by calling it hypothetical? If so, don't. No one that would have any first hand knowledge to be able to answer that question would give an answer online, if they're of sound mind.

Hypothetically, can people die of high-cord trauma? Yes.

Did that kill your "hypothetical" patient?

I'll give you a hypothetical, possibly definite, "maybe" as my final answer.

You've got to be kidding. STC does phenomenal work. Period. A city is burning, and you clumsily use the word 'hypothetical' to get an opinion on a live case? Especially this one?

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't mean to offend you hair police. I know you're a part of that program and certainly wasn't implying anything negative about the work you guys do. And no of course I wouldn't expect anyone to seriously answer my post.

Truth is, I just want to know what happened in the van. Just so I can try to make some sense out of the senselessness happening in your city. Again, sorry for being insensitive.

I didn't mean to offend you hair police. I know you're a part of that program and certainly wasn't implying anything negative about the work you guys do. And no of course I wouldn't expect anyone to seriously answer my post.

Truth is, I just want to know what happened in the van. Just so I can try to make some sense out of the senselessness happening in your city. Again, sorry for being insensitive.

If you weren't serious then why ask. As far as what happened in the van why would you ask us when we know as much as you do via the media?

The only people that know what happen in that van are the ones that were in it. One is dead and the rest are lawyered up. We may never know.

Reactions: 1 users