SLOE Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spartacus4432

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying EM and I am worried because I know how important it is to apply with a complete application by September 15th. I have one non EM letter now and will have one SLOE in by then. However my second SLOE will be coming from a rotation that is from 9/07-9/27 so it wont be written until sometime after 9/27 depending on how long they take to get it done. This worries me a lot because idk how long it will take and how it will look to not have a complete app until possibly weeks after Oct 1. I also have one last EM rotation from 9/28-10/23 where I could then obtain a late 3rd SLOE. I'm hoping someone might have some advice for this situation. Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have at least one in by then you should be fine. A lot of clerkship directors are aware and they will usually have ur SLOE complete very shortly after your rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
One SLOE is all you need...other two will help with additional interviews. I wouldn't stress it

Members don't see this ad :)
The major reason I am concerned is I will not have a complete application by September 15. It will be sometime in October when I get the 2nd SLOE. I have heard that programs will not even look at your app until its complete meaning having 3 letters uploaded.

The major reason I am concerned is I will not have a complete application by September 15. It will be sometime in October when I get the 2nd SLOE. I have heard that programs will not even look at your app until its complete meaning having 3 letters uploaded.

Relax.

PDs are aware of how time works and that you are at the mercy of Program X to get your SLOEs done. As long as you have one, you should be fine, unless the program explicitly states otherwise. In that case, you could just call the program and let them know that you are 1) very interested and 2) they should expect a SLOE from Program X by some approximate date. Most programs don't do much with apps until after ACEP.

I think you are going to be fine with your one SLOE in by Sept 15th. I wouldn't stress about it at all.

I am in a similar situation. Just to make sure I got it right: It is OK if only one of your SLOEs and a regular LoR is available by the Sept. 15th date in order to be considered for/offered an interview?

This seems unintuitive given that 2-3 SLOE +/- regular LoR gets thrown around as the number of letters most programs require in order to make interview offers.

I am in a similar situation. Just to make sure I got it right: It is OK if only one of your SLOEs and a regular LoR is available by the Sept. 15th date in order to be considered for/offered an interview?

This seems unintuitive given that 2-3 SLOE +/- regular LoR gets thrown around as the number of letters most programs require in order to make interview offers.

My understanding was that the programs will still send out invites to applicants with 1-2 LOR (preferably 1 SLOE) as long as they have other parts of ERAS (test scores, PS, transcript) ready to go. We will eventually need to meet the requirements of each program (3 LOR with 1-2 SLOE etc) but that should only matter when it comes time to rank the applicants. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong as I'm also very lost in this process.

And not to hijack the thread, but I also had a question regarding SLOE. I'll have my first SLOE in at the end of August, but I'm concerned that it'll be a mediocre SLOE as I had trouble getting along with the person writing the letter. It sucks because I got along really well with everyone else...just didn't click with the letter writer. In such case, is it better to hold onto the first SLOE (as opposed to assigning it to every program on Sep 15) and wait for the second one that'll be available at the end of September? I'm curious how important it is to have our first SLOE submitted on Sep 15 when ERAS opens up. I have 1 non-EM and 1 EM (but not SLOE) LOR available right now.

My understanding was that the programs will still send out invites to applicants with 1-2 LOR (preferably 1 SLOE) as long as they have other parts of ERAS (test scores, PS, transcript) ready to go. We will eventually need to meet the requirements of each program (3 LOR with 1-2 SLOE etc) but that should only matter when it comes time to rank the applicants. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong as I'm also very lost in this process.

And not to hijack the thread, but I also had a question regarding SLOE. I'll have my first SLOE in at the end of August, but I'm concerned that it'll be a mediocre SLOE as I had trouble getting along with the person writing the letter. It sucks because I got along really well with everyone else...just didn't click with the letter writer. In such case, is it better to hold onto the first SLOE (as opposed to assigning it to every program on Sep 15) and wait for the second one that'll be available at the end of September? I'm curious how important it is to have our first SLOE submitted on Sep 15 when ERAS opens up. I have 1 non-EM and 1 EM (but not SLOE) LOR available right now.

It varies on the program, but all of them will want a SLOE and most will only invite applicants who's application is complete. That isn't to say that you wouldn't get an invite eventually, nor does having a complete app the day they download will guarantee an interview.

Is it possible to get a departmental SLOE vs one from an invidual letter writer? You don't need to be everyone's BFF in order to match - you need to be competent, hard working, and teachable, and if the SLOE reflects that, you're probably fine.

ALiEM did another great piece on the Match. TL;DR - PDs like having at least one SLOE.

I'm in a similar situation. I did my away rotation in June, but the program has said they won't have SLOEs uploaded to ERAS until late September. I will have my home rotation's SLOE and 2 LORs in by 9/15, however, so I will meet the requirements for 3 letters.

I'm apprehensive about not having my SLOE in "on time", especially considering the fact that my away was a few months ago- I don't want it to seem like I didn't get a SLOE (or am withholding one) from this rotation.

Will this negatively affect me from getting "early" invites? If so I may ask the away school to try and expedite the SLOE.