disability insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abby

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am presently starting my fourth year of med school, and planning to do a surgical residency.

My problem is this: I've recently developed some swelling, pain and stiffness in the joints in my hands. My mom and grandmother both have RA, so that's probably what I've got.

Now my dilemma: If I go to my doctor and have it diagnosed now, I won't qualify for disability insurance in the future if I am ever unable to practice as a surgeon due to this, whereas if it is diagosed after I start my residency I would be covered if the unfortunate happened. On the other hand - delaying early treatment for one year may worsen the long term prognosis.

Any advice? (Please don't tell me not to go into surgery, because that is just not an option for me).

Thanks,

Abby

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by abby:
Any advice? (Please don't tell me not to go into surgery, because that is just not an option for me).

Why do you feel that you need to go into surgery? Do you even know what field of surgery you want to pursue? The truth of the matter is that some professions have certain health requirements. For example, if you don't have 20/20 vision you will have problems as a pilot. I advise you to find another area of interest.

I told you not to tell me not to go into surgery. General surgery is my chosen field - it is what I've done all my electives in and it is what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I will not give up on my dream that easily. If the time ever came that I could't practice surgery due to a physical limitation than I would bow out and go back and do another residency or something, but I am not willing to give up until I know I have to.

Now, homeo, if you can give me any advice on my stated dilemma, whether or not to seek early diagnosis and treatment and risk losing disability later on, or to wait 1 year until I'm a resident to have this investigated by my MD, but risk going a year without treatment that might delay the progression of this possible arthritis.

thanks,

Abby

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I would seek some alternative treatment (accupuncture, eastern medicine, etc.) as it has been shown to be quite effective in arthretic problems.

to Homeo,

You gave abby some horrible advice about reconsidering surgery and then you totally redeemed yourself with terrific suggestions for alternative medicine!!

Firstly, the passion to pursue a field such as surgery is so strongly ingrained in those individuals like abby (and me) that nothing on this planet will ever disway us from living this dream....it's not a goal, or a job, or a career, it's a passion...a love..a way of life!
smile.gif
RA probably hits a lot of surgeons and there are ways of attenuating the condition so that they are still functional. Rarely will RA become crippling, so surgery is absolute not out of the question.

Secondly, your suggestion of alternative medicine is right on key! Acupuncture can do wonders for some conditions and absolutely zilch for others. In Abby's case, if RA is what she has, then she's in luck! My grandpa had arthritis in his foot so severely that he couldn't walk...it even swelled up. The FP gave him some anti-inflammatories, which didn't work as well as we wanted. My pop suggested Chinese medicine and next thing you know, my grandpa is back tending the garden! Amazing stuff. Yes, he stopped taking the anti-inflammatories long ago, so this recovery is due entirely to the acupuncture.

Abby, there's a good chance that after you start your residency in 2001, you may still elect to use Chinese medicine to treat your RA.

------------------