Disability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDDSman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but it got me thinking...
A couple years out to DS, people will find themselves working hard to pay off loans, mortgages, cars, etc. Suppose that after these couple years you have an injury or disability that completely limits your practice, for example a broken wrist or shoulder surgery, for an extended period of time, say 3+ months. Is there any way to get assistance in this situation? Or are you pretty much going to have to scrape by?

Members don't see this ad.

A couple years out to DS, people will find themselves working hard to pay off loans, mortgages, cars, etc. Suppose that after these couple years you have an injury or disability that completely limits your practice, for example a broken wrist or shoulder surgery, for an extended period of time, say 3+ months. Is there any way to get assistance in this situation? Or are you pretty much going to have to scrape by?
Disability insurance policies are available, and carrying one is a very smart thing for a dentist whose livelihood depends on his/her physical well-being.

The disability insurance policy is probably one of the most important insurance policies you can have in my opinion. A good forum is www.disabilityinsuranceforums.com

The sooner you get a policy the better off you are, you want an own occupation for life, cost of living increases, etc. It usually will cost about 2-4% of gross wage per year for these type of policies. Like I said the sooner in life the better you are in getting these policies as you are most likely healthier so you wont have pre-existing conditions or the policy straight out denied.

Good luck.