This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kz211

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was dismissed from dental school after having to repeat the first year. I believe I have grounds to fight this decision in court but am worried how it would affect my chances when reapplying.

I was having difficulty during my first year academically,but was excelling in lab and clinic. I was fine during the first semester and passed my courses, however I started to struggle during the second semester. I was diagnosed with ADD, but did not receive medicine management until the later part of spring semester, when it was too late. I spoke to Student Affairs about my situation during the middle of the second semester, and I was told, actually almost guaranteed that I could remediate the courses during the summer. However, the decision I received from the office of academic affairs was to repeat the first year, and not given the opportunity to remediate the failed courses during the summer. When I was trying to appeal, the Dean of Academic Affairs had told me that I should have been offered to take a medical leave and not complete the semester, which was not suggested by Student Affairs. I was told this by multiple people that that is what I should've done, but I didn't even know that was an option that existed.

So I went on to repeat the year with medicine management from a doctor. All the students that were repeating the year were given the option to summer remediate and had a failed a course during then. I had performed well the second time around, however, I had failed two courses during the spring semester. One course could have been avoidable, however, I had severe anxiety during the final and was not able complete a good portion of the exam. I had requested to retake the final but was denied. According to the student policy at the school, students that are repeating a year can be subjected to dismissal if they fail more that one course. It does not specify whether these students summer remediated or not. Since I was not allowed to summer remediate, I believed I should be subjected to a different decision that someone who had summer remediated. I appealed to all levels to allow me to remediate those two courses during the summer and allow me to move one once I successfully pass those courses. I mentioned how I was not correctly guided by Student Affairs during the first year and about the possible loop hole in the student policy. After sending an appeal letter, I had spoken to faculty I worked closely with, and they were willing to attest to my skills as a dental practitioner and that I deserved to be there. The appeal decision stated that the dismissal decision remains without any explanation. Even before any decision was made, I had requested to meet with the deans, but I was denied an appointment with all of them. I thought this was unfair as I was currently a student then and after spending two years and thousands of dollars at this institution, I at least deserved one meeting, even if it was to say nothing can be done. Also, none of the faculty that I mentioned in the appeal were contacted.

I contacted a lawyer who is also faculty at the institution, who said I may have a case if I fought it as a civil rights case, claiming I was not given the correct guidance for having a learning disability. He referred me to a lawyer who had fought my institution on similar cases and won. I was worried that this may tarnish my application to other dental schools if it becomes public. So I have held off on that option.

Now, I am applying to dental schools again. I was going to mention my dental school dismissal wherever it applied, but wanted to avoid talking about it if it was not necessary. I was told by ADEA that I have to submit a transcript from my past dental school. I am worried that this will tremendously harm my application. I don't want to spend too much space/time discussing my dismissal on my application unless it is necessary.

I needed advice on three issues:

1) Should I submit my dental school transcripts to the application? Should I discuss my dismissal in my personal statement? Should I discuss my learning disability and how I have been able to manage it properly now?

2) Should I continue with the lawyer and fight the school while I am applying to dental school?

3)Do you know of any schools that will definitely not accept a dismissed dental student?

Members don't see this ad.

wow you want to do the first year of dental school for the third time? Are you absolutely sure you want to do that? There are so many avenues you can take towards another career. If you really want to do this again (I would not, personally), I would hire a lawyer and fight it. could be very expensive though, and you may not win your case. I feel for you man. I would seriously consider another career if I were you. Open your mind, get out there, and figure out what your passion really is.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sue 'em now.

Reactions: 2 users
Sue them to get some $$ back, move on the next career.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They very well might not win and now they just owe a ton in legal fees on top of their student loans. It might be time to just cut one's losses and move on.

Big Hoss

Very true - failing 2 or more classes in a single semester is an automatic kick out at my alma matter...no chance to even repeat the year. Good news is there's a lot of good careers out there, some might argue even better then dentistry!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

saul-logo.png

If you can deal with the whole moralizing aspect of suing your own school, then you're in good hands. Cash upfront would render you expedited services at a significantly discounted rate as opposed to a monthly plan. He's not the most ethnical lawyer around, but he will get the job done by any means necessary at the end of the day. If that isn't American, then what is?

Last edited:
Hoosier is right it's time to move on.

Odds of getting into a different dental school w/ that history is virtually zero.

Having to sue your old school for readmission in light of your academic struggles...you have to be real with yourself at this point bro.

I was dismissed from dental school after having to repeat the first year. I believe I have grounds to fight this decision in court but am worried how it would affect my chances when reapplying.

I was having difficulty during my first year academically,but was excelling in lab and clinic. I was fine during the first semester and passed my courses, however I started to struggle during the second semester. I was diagnosed with ADD, but did not receive medicine management until the later part of spring semester, when it was too late. I spoke to Student Affairs about my situation during the middle of the second semester, and I was told, actually almost guaranteed that I could remediate the courses during the summer. However, the decision I received from the office of academic affairs was to repeat the first year, and not given the opportunity to remediate the failed courses during the summer. When I was trying to appeal, the Dean of Academic Affairs had told me that I should have been offered to take a medical leave and not complete the semester, which was not suggested by Student Affairs. I was told this by multiple people that that is what I should've done, but I didn't even know that was an option that existed.

So I went on to repeat the year with medicine management from a doctor. All the students that were repeating the year were given the option to summer remediate and had a failed a course during then. I had performed well the second time around, however, I had failed two courses during the spring semester. One course could have been avoidable, however, I had severe anxiety during the final and was not able complete a good portion of the exam. I had requested to retake the final but was denied. According to the student policy at the school, students that are repeating a year can be subjected to dismissal if they fail more that one course. It does not specify whether these students summer remediated or not. Since I was not allowed to summer remediate, I believed I should be subjected to a different decision that someone who had summer remediated. I appealed to all levels to allow me to remediate those two courses during the summer and allow me to move one once I successfully pass those courses. I mentioned how I was not correctly guided by Student Affairs during the first year and about the possible loop hole in the student policy. After sending an appeal letter, I had spoken to faculty I worked closely with, and they were willing to attest to my skills as a dental practitioner and that I deserved to be there. The appeal decision stated that the dismissal decision remains without any explanation. Even before any decision was made, I had requested to meet with the deans, but I was denied an appointment with all of them. I thought this was unfair as I was currently a student then and after spending two years and thousands of dollars at this institution, I at least deserved one meeting, even if it was to say nothing can be done. Also, none of the faculty that I mentioned in the appeal were contacted.

I contacted a lawyer who is also faculty at the institution, who said I may have a case if I fought it as a civil rights case, claiming I was not given the correct guidance for having a learning disability. He referred me to a lawyer who had fought my institution on similar cases and won. I was worried that this may tarnish my application to other dental schools if it becomes public. So I have held off on that option.

Now, I am applying to dental schools again. I was going to mention my dental school dismissal wherever it applied, but wanted to avoid talking about it if it was not necessary. I was told by ADEA that I have to submit a transcript from my past dental school. I am worried that this will tremendously harm my application. I don't want to spend too much space/time discussing my dismissal on my application unless it is necessary.

1) Should I submit my dental school transcripts to the application? Should I discuss my dismissal in my personal statement? Should I discuss my learning disability and how I have been able to manage it properly now?

2) Should I continue with the lawyer and fight the school while I am applying to dental school?

3)Do you know of any schools that will definitely not accept a dismissed dental student?
I am wondering what is going to happen to your student loans....

Members don't see this ad :)
He may be able to file for bankruptcy and have his Loan dismissed because he never received a degree.
That's, unfortunately, not likely going to be a sufficient defense. It is my understanding that barring extreme disability precluding one from even remotely attempting to pay the loans, they probably aren't going anywhere. Think about all of the people who have student loans but that never finished a degree for whatever reason. They are still on the hook.

Big Hoss

Hoosier is right it's time to move on.

Odds of getting into a different dental school w/ that history is virtually zero.

Having to sue your old school for readmission in light of your academic struggles...you have to be real with yourself at this point bro.

Even after deliberately being given poor advice by administration and being charged for it? Hell of a pill to swallow.

Even though the administration may have steered @Kz211 wrong I think there are serious red flags there. I understand anxiety can be an issue taking a test but that is an issue and may hinder your ability in making sound clinical decisions with a patient in the clinics. Failing 2 classes after remediation throws a huge red flag at your ability to pass 2nd year. How are you supposed to pass 2nd year when you can't make it through 1st year the second time around? I applaud your perseverance but I think you need to start thinking of other careers.

I had someone get kicked out of my class half way through third year.

Big Hoss
Care to provide any general details on this? It's pretty rare for 3rd or 4th year students to be kicked out unless they are lagging behind in clinical requirements or have some type of major infraction.

@futuredds2022
As a pre-dental student, I am not sure if you are the one to be giving advice. I don't tell residents how they should navigate their career.
And for the others writing, you do not know if the person is a guy/girl.

Is transferring to a new school a thing you have looked into @Kz211 ?

I am in agreement with the others above. A 3rd first year of dental school does not seem ideal at all. I personally cringe hearing that.

If I were in your position, I'd (1) fight the school to stay or (2) find a school that would let you transfer. Call schools who may have given you an interview/acceptance back when you originally applied. See if they can let you make/up test out of certain things. Both of these options requires you to go the extra mile. Application cycle most likely is in the early stages right now at a lot of schools. You may find some people receptive to your cause if you start calling.

if OP decides to go with suing the dental school because they didnt follow the appropriate protocol to dismiss a student, it wouldn't be the first time a student has done that and won.

The kid who won against rugters even sometimes posts here on SDN. As far as I know, he's trying to get back into dental school too but without much luck. Last I seen him he was trying to sell his "pre-dental school prep course" to pre-dental students.

if OP decides to go with suing the dental school because they didnt follow the appropriate protocol to dismiss a student, it wouldn't be the first time a student has done that and won.

The kid who won against rugters even sometimes posts here on SDN. As far as I know, he's trying to get back into dental school too but without much luck. Last I seen him he was trying to sell his "pre-dental school prep course" to pre-dental students.
If you are going to sue a dental school you should say goodbye to that career and look for another one. I don't think any dental school is going to admit a student who has sued a dental school before.

Reactions: 1 users

What about PA school

Not as bad as being required to stay one more semester beyond 4th year and then being kicked out less than 2 weeks from finishing the semester and earning a DDS

Wait what???? What school is this
I'm assuming school that gives out a DDS degree?? USC? NYU??

Last edited:
I personally think you are fighting a losing battle. You will lose money either way (through legal fees, or student loans + interest, etc.) and there is no guarantee that if you win, they will readmit you (or any school for that matter). Maybe it's time to think about another career. But if dentistry is really your passion, go to another country and try your luck. Dental school is tough and the people graduating will face even more financial pressure than the classes before them. Why go through such trouble for such diminishing return?

If you are going to sue a dental school you should say goodbye to that career and look for another one. I don't think any dental school is going to admit a student who has sued a dental school before.

If true this speaks to the poor character of those institutions. If he leveled a case against a school and won it showed that he was correct and the school was in error.

If true this speaks to the poor character of those institutions. If he leveled a case against a school and won it showed that he was correct and the school was in error.
I'm sure the school had follow the policy when they decided to dismiss a student so I'm not sure if there is a high chance for winning. Also, it sounds like the school did give chances to remediate so it is not their fault. I think that OP is not lucky enough to get more remediation.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a excuse after excuse to me. You failed even after being given a second chance. Own up to it and stop blaming other people, disorders, and anxiety for failing... twice. You can't make the same excuses when you fail the boards or F** up on a patient.
And you're talking about suing? The school should sue you for causing them to lose a seat/ tuition for 6 years for the seats that could have been granted to someone else 2 years in a row who could have completed all 4 years without failing.
Dentistry's not right for everyone even if you have the basic hand skills. You can train most dental assistance to use a hand piece but that doesn't mean they are automatically qualified to be a dentist. The classes that you failed are required by the ADA for a reason so don't assume you "deserve to stay there" just because you passed preclinic.
That's all, I vented :boom:

Reactions: 11 users
I'm sure the school had follow the policy when they decided to dismiss a student so I'm not sure if there is a high chance for winning. Also, it sounds like the school did give chances to remediate so it is not their fault. I think that OP is not lucky enough to get more remediation.

How is this in anyway a response to what I wrote or a response to what I had quoted?

I'd lawyer up and sue. OP has nothing to lose but a few more thousand dollars, which is nothing compared to the loans already taken out.
I've heard where just the threat of getting attorneys involved has resolved problems....just sayin'.

I am wondering what is going to happen to your student loans....

They will go into repayment six months from the date that OP was separated from the school. OP will owe the full balance + interest accrued.

He may be able to file for bankruptcy and have his Loan dismissed because he never received a degree.

No. OP will still be liable for the loans. If the loans are private, OP may be able to apply for bankruptcy, but not because s/he was dismissed from school. If the loans are federal they cannot be discharged in bankruptcy at all.

With all due respect, if accepted to the same or another dental school, what will you do to ensure you pass your first year THIS time? That's the first question you need to ask yourself.

As for your other questions:

1 & 3) As it has already been stated by others, remediation and suing the dental school will label you as DOA on the application.
2) Don't bother fighting the school. In my opinion, the school has given you enough chances and is already losing out on years of tuition.

Unless dentistry is undoubtedly your passion and you have a battle plan to conquer these difficult classes, you might want to consider a career change. Best of luck to you!

Going to be brutally honest, you probably won't get accepted anywhere considering the schools will know you were dismissed.

Sounds like a excuse after excuse to me. You failed even after being given a second chance. Own up to it and stop blaming other people, disorders, and anxiety for failing... twice. You can't make the same excuses when you fail the boards or F** up on a patient.
And you're talking about suing? The school should sue you for causing them to lose a seat/ tuition for 6 years for the seats that could have been granted to someone else 2 years in a row who could have completed all 4 years without failing.
Dentistry's not right for everyone even if you have the basic hand skills. You can train most dental assistance to use a hand piece but that doesn't mean they are automatically qualified to be a dentist. The classes that you failed are required by the ADA for a reason so don't assume you "deserve to stay there" just because you passed preclinic.
That's all, I vented :boom:
This. Your situation doesn't sound like you were mistreated at all, students at my school who fail more than one class/semester the first time around aren't even given the opportunity to remediate but must repeat a year or be dismissed. It seems you're using any excuse imaginable other than accepting that you failed twice, this is not the schools fault. Second year is significantly harder than first at most schools, what makes you think you'd do better in year 2?

1) Hire the lawyer and get compensation.
2) Dentistry is not worth the hassle - from a financial standpoint. Insurance reimbursement has not kept up with cost of living for 30 years (they keep going down), dentists are becoming a commodity in a consumer market (e.g. dental corps opening up), and work days are increasing (lifestyle is meh). I think they did you a favor.

If you like healthcare, go into the PA or Nurse Practitioner (Anesthetist) route. Less liability, less years of education, and a more stable job. Corporations also like auxillary practitioners because they simply can pay them less (although I've seen six figures easily for these fields).

Otherwise, if money is your motivation...Start taking real estate seminars and find your niche in it. Ask for a small loan from a friend or family and go right to work. There's also lots of money with transportation/contracting e.g. hauling stuff for Amazon and deliveries (but you'll need to know how to repair trucks). Just saying. Anything BUT dentistry at this point.

Hi, I have exactly same situation, I do not know what is the best way for me! I would like to apply for other dental school again ! I do not know, do I have any chance to accept
in other dental school or not ?

• Hmm
Hi, I have exactly same situation, I do not know what is the best way for me! I would like to apply for other dental school again ! I do not know, do I have any chance to accept
I messaged you. I am the one who has the most experience in this endeavor. I have, personally, helped about 10 or so students over the past 4 years in legal issues by telling them the procedure. I am not a lawyer, but anyone can learn the law as it is just sophistry (another language). That being said, you need a lawyer, but DO NOT sit idly by and wait for him to act. He is is just one part of the offense. Lawyers love money... they seemingly only work to your satisfaction when you pay them so work fast and smart, as they do.

it has been a month so I hope you are still fighting.

Oh isn't that sweat home NYU

I feel having a lawyer is the way to go if you have the means to pay for it. However, there are no guarantees that you can win it.
Best of luck and sorry about what you are going through right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.