Disadvantaged Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloatingAbyss

Reaction score
Hey y'all I am having a bit of difficulty deciding if I should write a disadvantaged essay. Apologies if this is the wrong place!

My living situation has greatly improved over the years and I am very grateful but did face some challenges during my childhood (up until middle school) that I would mainly focus on. My family was not well off and I did not have insurance as a child, which greatly affected my view of the doctor's office (and playing on the playground haha). Additionally, my family did not live in a good neighborhood and there would be many days where I would not go to elementary school because our sole family car was stolen and the buses did not come to my area. My father was also an alcoholic and quite violent which was difficult to grow up around (but luckily he has been sober for almost a decade now!)

I don't want to come across as a sob story and understand that I have a lot to be grateful for especially since my life drastically shifted (parents got better jobs, increased income and moved out of the neighborhood). Would appreciate all of your advice - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When a group of people reach age 18 they are on the starting line for adulthood. Some are right on the line, ready to begin college with good foundational experiences from childhood. Some are ahead of the starting line having had enrichment experiences that prepared them well for college life. Some are well behind the starting line due to lack of opportunities in childhood that left big gaps in the knowledge and skills that one typically has by age 18. This can even mean not being ready for college right out of HS, or not having the means to attend right away.

This isn't the only way to look at the disadvantaged statement but it is one way you might think about it.

Reactions: 4 users