disadvantages of anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meeero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone

i have confusion about choosing my medical field
i think to choose anesthesia
but i felt there are some disadvantages:
1- the work is boring because u are waiting for surgeons to finish their work
2- sometimes treated badly by OR stuff as he isn't a doctor
3- the competition in this field is low and i can't be unique in it because every one can get the patient sleep and awake !
4-icu ,,some people told me it's depressive as most case are terminal or hopeless

tell me about those point ,, aren't they true?!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...those are some good points. But you've got nothing to worry about. Matching in anesthesiology in the United States has become competitive enough that you don't stand a chance of obtaining a spot with your lousy English skills anyway!

hi everyone

3- the competition in this field is low and i can't be unique in it because every one can get the patient sleep and awake !
4-icu ,,some people told me it's depressive as most case are terminal or hopeless

tell me about those point ,, aren't they true?!!

I think your present job, goat herding, fits you better

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...those are some good points. But you've got nothing to worry about. Matching in anesthesiology in the United States has become competitive enough that you don't stand a chance of obtaining a spot with your lousy English skills anyway!

ZING!

1. All specialties are boring sometimes. If you think OR anesthesia is boring while "waiting for the surgeon to finish their work" then perhaps anesthesia is not for you.

2. An anesthesiologist is a doctor. Most OR staff seem to be aware of this. Ergo, anesthesiologists are not treated badly by OR staff "because they are not doctors". There are physicians of all specialties who treat their colleagues poorly at times. We call those physicians "unprofessional".

3. Not all anesthesiologists are equally slick, and not all OR anesthesiologists are experts in the same surgeries/procedures/etc. Some do research too. Some also do ICU. Also, some are sociopaths and some are not, just like in every other specialty. Think of these differences as opportunities to distinguish yourself.

4. You don't have to be an ICU physician if you are an anesthesiologist. If you think it is depressing, then you don't have to make a career out of it. I am an ICU physician, and I am not at all interested in talking you out of it if you think it is not for you.

Please endeavor to improve your grammar, spelling, and overall post composition. People will be more responsive if it seems you have put some effort into your posts.

yes i'll write in a formal way ,,

i usually write as i write in chat which usually ignore grammar and use many abbreviations

Last edited:

i won't replay ,, because i'm respectable

ZING!

1. All specialties are boring sometimes. If you think OR anesthesia is boring while "waiting for the surgeon to finish their work" then perhaps anesthesia is not for you.

2. An anesthesiologist is a doctor. Most OR staff seem to be aware of this. Ergo, anesthesiologists are not treated badly by OR staff "because they are not doctors". There are physicians of all specialties who treat their colleagues poorly at times. We call those physicians "unprofessional".

3. Not all anesthesiologists are equally slick, and not all OR anesthesiologists are experts in the same surgeries/procedures/etc. Some do research too. Some also do ICU. Also, some are sociopaths and some are not, just like in every other specialty. Think of these differences as opportunities to distinguish yourself.

4. You don't have to be an ICU physician if you are an anesthesiologist. If you think it is depressing, then you don't have to make a career out of it. I am an ICU physician, and I am not at all interested in talking you out of it if you think it is not for you.

Please endeavor to improve your grammar, spelling, and overall post composition. People will be more responsive if it seems you have put some effort into your posts.

thx for your replay

i really like anesthesia but i need to know about its disadvantages to love it 100%

so i wrote this topic

Really people? :shrug::annoyed:

This poster didn't say he/she was even interested in doing anesthesia in the U.S.-- and even if they are, and this is an anonymous forum where you can say what you want, these two replies were just tasteless. I agree meeero should take the time to capitalize and not write like they text, but c'mon. Typhoonegator is spot on. Sorry to nag-- I just read the first two replies and I thought I was seeing things-- folks aren't usually this outwardly mean on this forum.

i won't replay ,, because i'm respectable

thx for your replay

i really like anesthesia but i need to know about its disadvantages to love it 100%

so i wrote this topic

You're pre-med. Picking a specialty is way down the road. Nothing wrong with having some interests at the start, but first things first.

Your English must improve, or it's all a moot point. I'm not writing this to be a jerk, but your odds of medical school acceptance and completion are just about zero unless your communication skills improve.

meeero said:
i usually write as i write in chat which usually ignore grammar and use many abbreviations

a) This is not "chat" on a phone. As informal as this forum is, sloppy pre-teen textspeak is never well received. You're asking us to take the time to give you advice and the benefit of our professional experience. The least you could do is make your request for information easily readable.

b) It seems unlikely that you have the grammar to write properly, even if you wanted to. This is a problem if you want to be a doctor. You should make very specific, genuine efforts to correct this problem. If you have an accent, fix it.

You came here for advice; here it is. Good luck.

thanks michigangirl & pgg

i agree with every one that i should improve my English skills

yes ,, i'm not interesting to have a residency in USA
i'll take it in my country then i'll do MRCS or MRCP or FRCA ,, according to my specialty

i really like Anesthesia and i'm interesting on it
i had heard those disadvantages ,, so i just ask if anyone can replay and say : " no it's not true because ...and because ... and so on "

yes ,, i'm not interesting to have a residency in USA
i'll take it in my country

Fair enough, the language problem is surely less of an issue then. There aren't many posters here from outside the US. I can only think of one regular who posts from Europe.

Training outside the US and then coming here has its own set of hurdles. It is a daunting task. The international forums might be useful to you.

As for anesthesia - I wouldn't do anything else, and I think it'll be a great field for motivated people for decades to come.

This poster didn't say he/she was even interested in doing anesthesia in the U.S.-- and even if they are, and this is an anonymous forum where you can say what you want, these two replies were just tasteless. I agree meeero should take the time to capitalize and not write like they text, but c'mon. Typhoonegator is spot on. Sorry to nag-- I just read the first two replies and I thought I was seeing things-- folks aren't usually this outwardly mean on this forum.

The disadvantages CAN BE real. Every specialty has its disadvantages. You just have to make a f**king decision.

1 most surgeries are usually fast enough that I do little waiting since I have to do charting as well as prepare for the next case(s). Sometimes, if I've dealt with a difficult airway or a crashing patient, it's nice to have a little break! Moreover, in a busy private practice where you do your own cases, sometimes the only break you have is in the OR on a chipshot case.
2 the nurses in my hospital treat me very well -- but it's true, they do treat the surgeon better even though we're both physicians
3 it's true. who surgeons and patients decide are good versus bad anesthesiologists is often not merit-based.
4 you love icu or you hate it, i guess.
5 you didn't mention the worst part of anesthesiology. In-house call. Even the surgeons can go home and sleep in their own bed. We don't always get that option.
6 I wouldn't pick any other specialty if I had to do it over.

Biggest disadvantage IMO - You have zero control over your life. If a surgeon wants to do a case you've gotta do it......Can it wait till the next day? Doesn't matter, you've gotta do it. You wanna get out by 5 but the surgeon just added on a hangnail because he's got a golf trip planned tomorrow? Doesn't matter you gotta do it. You can't say no, you can't say lets do it another time, you just have to do it. This is the single thing about anesthesia that pisses me off the most on a daily basis. After working all day it would be really nice if I could say "It's 6pm I'm gonna take an hour for dinner then bust out the rest of these cases" but I don't have that kind of control. Surgeon books a case at 5pm and decides to show up at 6pm? You gotta stick around the OR b/c the surgeons supposed to show up any minute now and you still gotta do the case. When you're on you're always at someone else's beck and call and even though you've been through years of schooling and you're at the top of the food chain in your chosen field you still have to answer to someone else. Think about how this will feel when your 40 or 50 years old. Think long and hard about it before you choose this field

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree and disagree with you michigangirl. Yeah, I said "DAMN" out loud when I read the first response. So outwardly/unnecesarily rude.

But this forum is known for it's abrasiveness and rudeness and I am not that surprised. I also thought the same thing, this guy/girl is a foreigner and he may never want to set foot in this country for all we know. Goes to show how some North Americans can be so egocentric. Wow.

To the OP, there's more to just waiting on the surgeon to finish the case. Especially in ASA 3's and above. And the ICU although sometimes depressing, can also be very interesting.

You mean folks aren't usually this mean ANYMORE. I actually wasn't at all surprised by those responses.

I agree and disagree with you michigangirl. Yeah, I said "DAMN" out loud when I read the first response. So outwardly/unnecesarily rude.

But this forum is known for it's abrasiveness and rudeness and I am not that surprised. I also thought the same thing, this guy/girl is a foreigner and he may never want to set foot in this country for all we know. Goes to show how some North Americans can be so egocentric. Wow.

To the OP, there's more to just waiting on the surgeon to finish the case. Especially in ASA 3's and above. And the ICU although sometimes depressing, can also be very interesting.

The OP's first post on this forum basically amounted to, "Hi everybody, your chosen specialty kinda sucks. I mean, it does, right?"

You don't think that's rude? I think there's better ways to phrase that question. Better yet, the OP could have done a search as his/her question has been asked countless times.

The OP's first post on this forum basically amounted to, "Hi everybody, your chosen specialty kinda sucks. I mean, it does, right?"

You don't think that's rude? I think there's better ways to phrase that question. Better yet, the OP could have done a search as his/her question has been asked countless times.

No it's not rude, because it wasn't personal. This person is clearly interested in anesthesia-- but is asking for clarification with regards to perceptions of anesthesia that they've heard from whoever they've talked to and whatever they've experienced. If you took offense because you couldn't see past the poor english grammar, then that's one thing. It's our job to set them straight or point them in the right direction. Also, you assumed they wanted to come to the U.S.-- last time I checked, this forum wasn't closed to only people who practice anesthesia in the U.S.-- and this certainly isn't the first time someone has asked a question that has been asked multiple times before.

But I have to agree with some others now-- I shouldn't have been surprised by the replies.

hi everyone

Four or more thoughts:

1. Boredom can be a danger in this field--a danger for patients. I was flabbergasted when I saw for the first time an anesthesiologist in private practice turning away from the patient, kicking his feet up on the anesthesia cart and opening the Wall Street Journal. It was kinda sickening. We get entrusted (and paid) to be vigilant, not surf the net, etc. For me, the temptation is not such a problem since I do a lot of shorter cases with quick, seasoned surgeons. As more and more cases become ambulatory, a more relevant concern is "are the surgeons waiting for anesthesia?" But boredom can be a problem for some cases, in training, in particular. Again, however, for me, I am full-throttle, hopping from 0600 until it's time to go. If there is "down time" in the OR, I enjoy the rest and try to keep my eye on the ball.
2. I've heard this is less an issue in Europe where the patient isn't the surgeon's; rather the surgeon's and the anesthesiologist's. It is true in my experience that the system (myself included) caters to the surgeons. We are a service profession in the U.S. Took a while for me to really understand this: our job is to safely, facilitate the conduct of surgery. I try to do more in hopes that patients and families see me as the "best anesthesiologist that has ever taken care of them," but I would not have a job long if I didn't focus on facilitating. We are definitely not the apex predator in the O.R. so if you cannot suppress ego, it will be more of a challenge. That is not to say that we are unappreciated. The real professionals, recognize the value of a capable anesthesiologist and one gets plenty of strokes for doing a good job, moolah included.
3. Competition for residency spots? I really don't know about this. Beyond residency, I would say you have a point that it is relatively difficult to find acknowledgement for the added-value brought by a really committed-to-excellence anesthesiologist. I suspect, our success is part of the difficulty in teasing out the exceptional. Basic U.S. medical market forces are huge also, IMHO. Even ortho surgery, e.g., where it is perhaps easier to distinguish an exceptional doc from a so-so one, the payors don't yet recognize this. The local forces--HMO, Health- or Payor-System, will send "THEIR" patients to the economical choice, not the person who does the best shoulder replacement, etc. So for us, even more difficult to distinguish ourselves. I think fellowship serves a role here. I'm sure that letting CRNAs do everything while we sit in the break room and shoot the bull is our demise.
4. I'm not an ICU doc and have limited experience. But I will say this: there are tremendous saves that occur in the units. There are plenty of patients that do walk out of the units. My most recent experience is with pedi-ICU training and the terrific strides that have occurred in improved outcomes leaves a lot more than a glass half full. One really is a physician nonpareil in the units, also.

Gotta disagree with you.

Everybody can make their patient go to sleep. Not everybody has their patient wake up. (ever hear of Dr Conrad Murray?)

Wasn't the OP an obvious troll post? Seriously. Complete with broken English and everything. That OP has troll DNA all over it.

Wasn't the OP an obvious troll post? Seriously. Complete with broken English and everything. That OP has troll DNA all over it.

Absolutely NOT a troll post. you can tell by the grammar and the way of speaking. It is exactly how some folks in specific parts of the world text on the phone. Trust me.

urban dictionary definition:
Internet Troll 46 up, 15 down
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Absolutely NOT a troll post. you can tell by the grammar and the way of speaking. It is exactly how some folks in specific parts of the world text on the phone. Trust me.

urban dictionary definition:
Internet Troll 46 up, 15 down
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

You've just described this thread.

You have to realize that you are the most important person in the room second to the patient. You have to make the decision of whether to proceed with the procedure.

For example, I had a nurse in obstetrics last week start telling me what medications to use for a cerclage. For some reason she wanted to me to treat her anxiety with versed. I refused, and she kept bothering me in front of the patient. What I did was I told her to follow me to the side room. Then I explained to her that if she ever tells me how to give anesthesia, I will talk to my good friend the CEO of the hospital and make sure she never has a job again. Well, she stopped telling me what to do.

Just because a nurse or surgeon tells you what to do doesn't make it right. You have to do the right thing and know how to take control of things in an efficient manner.

As far as boredom, I wish. I never sit down for the 10-12 hours a day I work. Then again, the day flies by.

The hard part of anesthesia is the scary part, like being called to the ER to secure an airway in a morbidly obese patient with angioedema from their ACE inhibitor with a fused cervical spine. That always makes my day.

Just my 2 cents.

You have to realize that you are the most important person in the room second to the patient. You have to make the decision of whether to proceed with the procedure.

For example, I had a nurse in obstetrics last week start telling me what medications to use for a cerclage. For some reason she wanted to me to treat her anxiety with versed. I refused, and she kept bothering me in front of the patient. What I did was I told her to follow me to the side room. Then I explained to her that if she ever tells me how to give anesthesia, I will talk to my good friend the CEO of the hospital and make sure she never has a job again. Well, she stopped telling me what to do.

Just because a nurse or surgeon tells you what to do doesn't make it right. You have to do the right thing and know how to take control of things in an efficient manner.

As far as boredom, I wish. I never sit down for the 10-12 hours a day I work. Then again, the day flies by.

The hard part of anesthesia is the scary part, like being called to the ER to secure an airway in a morbidly obese patient with angioedema from their ACE inhibitor with a fused cervical spine. That always makes my day.

Just my 2 cents.

I got a chill...

Oh and seriously... what up with nursing staff thinking they know more than the anesthesiologist...?

Michigangirl,

I just wanted to say thank you for being kind and gracious and a good example of how people should be in this world.

However, I found the first two responses very funny - still chuckling with an occasional chortle when I re-read.

Last edited:
hi everyone

Boring is relative.

I don't find it boring at all (everything is boring sometimes).

I get to sit down if I want to. I can play craps on my iphone if I want to. I can chat up the surgeons and have great conversation with them. I get to flirt with the nurses - the cutes ones because that is tantilizing, the old ones because that is really fun.

I'll tell you what I find EXTREMELY boring - Every 15 minutes having to talk to a patient about their high blood pressure, or their painful toe from gout, or about how much lasix I need to give this CHF patient (we still treat CHF with lasix right?), or even worse, on rounds - how much urine output the patient had last night, and did they have a fever, and has the social worker found out placement for them once they are discharged. THAT is boring, boring, boring. (Not really referring to ICU rounding - I find ICU exciting actually.)

I'm going to side with the OP. I thought the questions were pretty benign and you Americans were already getting pretty defensive :cool:

where did he mention he was a goat herder?

Kudos to you for standing up for yourself:).

I think this approach is just as likely to get you in hot water though.

Just my 2 cents.

OP, some of your concerns are valid.
I never get bored in the OR, but it depends on the case. It can be nice to watch surgery, but not actually have to do it. You deal with a wide variety of patients (unlike some specialties), so things are always interesting. I like the psysiology and pharm which can be really neat.
HOWEVER, yes, the staff treats you like hired help. In some hospitals it can be very bad, in others, it is at least tolerable. It can be hard to see a nurse yell at you when she or he would not think of speaking to a surgeon like that. The surgeons themselves will talk to you like a child then turn right around and kiss up big time to an internist who is referring patients.
I get bored (and angry), when I wait hours for surgeons to show up just to get the case started. I get angry when I am called in to do a case that could have waited 'til the morn. So you have little control of what goes on wrt scheduling. The surgeon can choose to sart the day at 10:00 so that he can drop his kids off at school, but you would have no such luxury. Heck if you are late, well they act like someone robbed a bank.
My biggest issue has been financial exploitation, which is really bad in the big cities. It can happen in other specialties as more doctors sign contracts with hospitals and HMOs, but it seems to be severe in anesthesia. You work, they get paid.
When there is a glut, the CRNAs and AAs can take your jobs...that stinks.

Incidentally, what was wrong with the nurse's suggestion of giving a little midazolam to treat preprocedure anxiety?

It's not like she was advising you to give an isobaric spinal instead of hyperbaric.

It's important to stand your ground and fight the battles that need fighting, but you can chip away at your leadership clout by making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Incidentally, what was wrong with the nurse's suggestion of giving a little midazolam to treat preprocedure anxiety?

It's not like she was advising you to give an isobaric spinal instead of hyperbaric.

It's important to stand your ground and fight the battles that need fighting, but you can chip away at your leadership clout by making a mountain out of a mole hill.
There is an 'association' with fetal defect (cleft palate, cleft lip, etc) in trimester exposure. Other studies suggest possible behavioral issues with children exposed in utero (of course these were in habitual users). Definitely no conclusive data out there. In all likelihood a little versed is harmless but try telling that to the lawyers...

There is an 'association' with fetal defect (cleft palate, cleft lip, etc) in trimester exposure. Other studies suggest possible behavioral issues with children exposed in utero (of course these were in habitual users). Definitely no conclusive data out there. In all likelihood a little versed is harmless but try telling that to the lawyers...

Fair enough. I would have explained this to the nurse if that were my reasoning. Alternatively could always give a little fentanyl instead if the patient is truly flipping out. It's been a while since I've looked at any of this, but isn't propofol considered a-ok in pregnancy?