pharm89

10+ Year Member
May 19, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I'm so disappointed in my PCAT score, even though this is my first time taking the PCAT. I thought I prepared very well for the June test and ended up composite of 66 :( I will be taking it again in October but feel as though I will not do much better because I spent a long time preparing for it using Kaplan, Barron's, and the Harcourt practice exams. Do scores really improve by retaking the PCAT?
Here's my individual scores:
Scaled Score Percentile Rank
Verbal 405 60
Biology 390 37
Reading Comp 389 33
Quantitative 426 87
Chemistry 431 89
Composite 408 66
Writing 4

My GPA is around 3.75 and I have been a non-certified pharmacy tech for about a year. I also have shadowed pharmacists at various setting and have some community service.
I just feel really discouraged after getting back my PCAT results. It seems as though you need at least 80 to be a competitive applicant. Also, my state only has one pharmacy school. I'll be applying to Madison(in state), Midwestern CCP, Minnesota, Creighton, and probably adding a school that does not require the PCAT.
Do you guys think I have a chance? :confused:
Any feedback would be appreciated.

pharmacazoid

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
With pharm experience and a good GPA there is still a chance, don't lose faith. However, the PCAT is designed as a measure of aptitude for how well you've retained the information you've learned. Although, I don't agree with the calculus portion being added to the exam (it's probably a means of making the exam more competitive since more people are applying). Most of the other material covered are subjects you should have a good grasp of once prerequisites have been completed. For your biology I recommend using the online PCAT professor, the math is useful as well but lacks in the calculus department. I did not find the chemistry portion of the site to be useful.
As far as boosting your reading comp and verbal that is more diffiuclt. You can learn vocabulary, but some individuals just aren't as adept at actively reading a prompt and being able to draw from it. I would recommend focusing on chem/bio/math on the next PCAT. I did not do well in the quantative portion of the PCAT but did well enough in bio/reading/verbal/chem that I was able to get a 97 composite.

Good luck. I'm still in the application process as well so I am as anxiety ridden as you are.

Charles01

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
If you increase your bio score or your reading comp. (preferably both), I'll bet your composite score will go way up. I suggest going over a bio 101 textbook, and a biology review book (like examkrackers or schaum's outline) for the bio score.
You'd probably do better on reading automatically the second time now that you know what it's like.

ForcedEntry

Lilo got stitched
10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
Charles01 said:
If you increase your bio score or your reading comp. (preferably both), I'll bet your composite score will go way up. I suggest going over a bio 101 textbook, and a biology review book (like examkrackers or schaum's outline) for the bio score.
You'd probably do better on reading automatically the second time now that you know what it's like.
EXACTLY! Get 80's on V/B/RC and you're in the 90's composite

Don't give up

About the Ads