Disciplinary Action & Acceptance on the SAME DAY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimboapu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am basically scared out of my mind...

I just received an acceptance notice the other day which i was obviously excited about. BUT on the SAME DAY I was notified that our entire house was being investigated by our school for conduct violations in regards to a 'party' at our house. We had a party for our 21 and over friends since my university is such a stickler with underage drinking, but word spread like wildfire. The party got crashed by a bunch of underclassmen that none of us knew and they brought their own alcohol and stole some of ours. The university is after us because underage persons were intoxicated at an even that we sponsered..we kicked them out as fast as we could be they just kept sneaking in and being rediculous! Either way something is gonna happen.

-If I get expelled I will lose acceptance
-If I get suspended Im not sure what will happen, i dont know how long i will be suspended or what that will do
-If I get on probation what will happen?

Im freakin out, this is a nightmare and i cant be excited about getting accepted because my school wants to crucify me. my roommate is in the same situation, he just hasn't been accepted yet.

any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Start praying and stop drinking. The school where I'm at (and the city) are pretty strict. If there is an 'incident' at a party (like underage drinking), the party that violated the law gets busted, and the host of the party. The reasoning goes that if someone hosts a party they are responsible to keep it at a level they can control (like by closing and locking doors, not letting too many people attend, etc.) and if goes past that calling the police for help.

I would write a letter to your school and go meet with whoever is in charge of the situation.

It's called groveling. Do it!

And another thing, just cause you're 21 doesn't mean you should be out drinking. Sure you can do it, and legally, but to be a responsible adult means that you have priorities and right now partying is not one of them. I hate to say it but if you do get dropped then that is one hard life lesson learned. Swallow it, move one, and learn from this stupid frat mistake. You want to be doctor for crying out loud. You should show better judgment than to be involved in a situation that causes damage to peoples health, underage or not.

Good luck, I hope you don't have to learn this one the hard way.

Members don't see this ad :)
You want to be doctor for crying out loud. You should show better judgment than to be involved in a situation that causes damage to peoples health, underage or not.

Woah there, you have no idea where im coming from. we havent done anything else even close to this because of how things turned out that night. Believe me, ive already thought about my responsibilities and im gonna face it like a man. im not really looking for moral lessons or guilt trips because believe me, i'm learning my lesson.

Thanks for the good luck, too. we're gonna need it :(

Not sure if anyone can give you good advice until you know what happens with the verdict.

But, planning for the worst, do you have any other possibilities for interviews/acceptances? I'd keep as many doors open as possible, in case your acceptance at this one school comes into jeopardy.

Not sure if anyone can give you good advice until you know what happens with the verdict.

But, planning for the worst, do you have any other possibilities for interviews/acceptances? I'd keep as many doors open as possible, in case your acceptance at this one school comes into jeopardy.

ya man, ive got 4 interviews coming up..keeping the fingers crossed

OP, you didn't say whether or not this was a greek org issue (I'm assuming that it is) but you need to start doing your research ASAP about what the possible consequences will be. It might be that y'all just lose your right to host parties, or they might individually censure people. Get your hands on a student handbook now and find out as much about the judicial policies at your school as much as possible.

From my experience with the judicial council at my undergrad (notoriously strict) they rarely expelled people due to alcohol violations. Chances are you won't get kicked out, but I've seen people in your situation go on probation and have to do community service. Just own up to the fact that you were at the party, say that you weren't actively recruiting or giving alcohol to the underage peeps, and you'll probably be ok. Your organization is another thing entirely, that would suck big time if y'all lost your charter.

(edited b/c I originally quoted and responded to goodjuju's post, but given that he's at BYU I would take his comments with a very large grain of salt)

I also agree that response was a bit harsh and not very helpful at all. Neither is mine, really, but for what it counts, OP, good luck.

I think you're going to be fine...

Just remember to not hide this from the med school you got in to - but don't tell them until there is an absolute verdict.

Again, you should be fine.

OP, you didn't say whether or not this was a greek org issue (I'm assuming that it is) but you need to start doing your research ASAP about what the possible consequences will be. It might be that y'all just lose your right to host parties, or they might individually censure people. Get your hands on a student handbook now and find out as much about the judicial policies at your school as much as possible.

From my experience with the judicial council at my undergrad (notoriously strict) they rarely expelled people due to alcohol violations. Chances are you won't get kicked out, but I've seen people in your situation go on probation and have to do community service. Just own up to the fact that you were at the party, say that you weren't actively recruiting or giving alcohol to the underage peeps, and you'll probably be ok. Your organization is another thing entirely, that would suck big time if y'all lost your charter.

(edited b/c I originally quoted and responded to goodjuju's post, but given that he's at BYU I would take his comments with a very large grain of salt)

ya we're not greek, it doesnt exist at our school. we are a private christian school, so the alcohol policies are pretty strict and they are into making examples of people. thanks for the feedback, i feel a little better about our situation. hopefully they can see how much we have to lose!

And another thing, just cause you're 21 doesn't mean you should be out drinking. Sure you can do it, and legally, but to be a responsible adult means that you have priorities and right now partying is not one of them. I hate to say it but if you do get dropped then that is one hard life lesson learned. Swallow it, move one, and learn from this stupid frat mistake. You want to be doctor for crying out loud. You should show better judgment than to be involved in a situation that causes damage to peoples health, underage or not.

I AGREE!! You're going to be a doctor so you have to know better! If you really want to be a good doctor you should go confine yourself to a monastery. No drinking for you. No smoking either. No TV, no internet, no SDN, nothing but getting up at 4am for hard manual labor and eating broth twice a day. Maybe once you get that lifestyle together you can actually begin to take a career in medicine seriously.

Jesus christ juju get off your moral high horse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about it. The last thing the school wants to do is to keep one of their future alumni from being a doctor.

This is a predicament and I can't see where you wouldn't be at fault unfortunately. You should have had better control of the party, sorry. Place a call to the school and explain the situation, without giving your name, to atleast see how they feel.

ya we're not greek, it doesnt exist at our school. we are a private christian school, so the alcohol policies are pretty strict and they are into making examples of people. thanks for the feedback, i feel a little better about our situation. hopefully they can see how much we have to lose!

I hope it works out for you, but why should they cut you a break? Actions have consequences.

So, I am basically scared out of my mind...

I just received an acceptance notice the other day which i was obviously excited about. BUT on the SAME DAY I was notified that our entire house was being investigated by our school for conduct violations in regards to a 'party' at our house. We had a party for our 21 and over friends since my university is such a stickler with underage drinking, but word spread like wildfire. The party got crashed by a bunch of underclassmen that none of us knew and they brought their own alcohol and stole some of ours. The university is after us because underage persons were intoxicated at an even that we sponsered..we kicked them out as fast as we could be they just kept sneaking in and being rediculous! Either way something is gonna happen.

-If I get expelled I will lose acceptance
-If I get suspended Im not sure what will happen, i dont know how long i will be suspended or what that will do
-If I get on probation what will happen?

Im freakin out, this is a nightmare and i cant be excited about getting accepted because my school wants to crucify me. my roommate is in the same situation, he just hasn't been accepted yet.

any thoughts?

This thread title intrigued me. I don't know anything about osteopathic schools but I assume it's similar to allopathic in this regard.

First of all, calm down. Congrats on your acceptance and chill the **** out. Next, get a lawyer asap. Your university's law school may have some cheap or free ones. Get legal advice right away on how to handle this situation and make it go away. Under no circumstances should you disclose this until and unless there is definitive action taken against you that meet the criteria of something to disclose. Most of the idealistic people on this forum would say "disclose, it is the honest thing to do", but those fools are wrong. With the assistance of your lawyer, you're going to want to beg/plead/negotiate till this goes away. I doubt you're going to get expelled.

Please tell us what happens!

I AGREE!! You're going to be a doctor so you have to know better! If you really want to be a good doctor you should go confine yourself to a monastery. No drinking for you. No smoking either. No TV, no internet, no SDN, nothing but getting up at 4am for hard manual labor and eating broth twice a day. Maybe once you get that lifestyle together you can actually begin to take a career in medicine seriously.

Jesus christ juju get off your moral high horse.[/quote

Haha, engineered, I like you more and more each day.

Seriously, not a big deal. Things like this happen to people who have social lives. I commend you for doing "normal" people things like having a party and enjoying life. Medical school and the road to practicing medicine will be a lot easier and enjoyable if you continue to do so. Its the ones who equate being a doctor to being a monk (such as jujuju) who dont last very long in the profession. The best doctors are real people.

And another thing, just cause you're 21 doesn't mean you should be out drinking. Sure you can do it, and legally, but to be a responsible adult means that you have priorities and right now partying is not one of them.

Actually this is THE time to go out or drink or whatever you like to do. Enjoy being in college. You've already been accepted to medical school......mission accomplished. You're new priority is either to enjoy the remaining months before medical school begins. Once it starts you'll be working your butt of until you retire.

You're not going to get in trouble. What's going to happen is that they will put your house on social probation for a semester or two, so you won't be able to attend Greek social events. You, yourself, can't be held personally responsible. That doesnt make sense. It is just a blemish on your house organization, and not on any individual person

You're not going to get in trouble. What's going to happen is that they will put your house on social probation for a semester or two, so you won't be able to attend Greek social events. You, yourself, can't be held personally responsible. That doesnt make sense. It is just a blemish on your house organization, and not on any individual person

The OP already said it wasn't Greek-related.

slap on the wrist at most i'd say.

Seriously, not a big deal. Things like this happen to people who have social lives. I commend you for doing "normal" people things like having a party and enjoying life. Medical school and the road to practicing medicine will be a lot easier and enjoyable if you continue to do so. Its the ones who equate being a doctor to being a monk (such as jujuju) who dont last very long in the profession. The best doctors are real people.

To each their own, but the people I knew as an undergrad that party almost never did as well as those that did...and a lot of them were "normal"...Not suggesting that one way is right and one is wrong, just a thought.

Unfortunately, that's just not true. Regardless of whether or not (being not) this is a Greek org issue, I have seen people held at fault for things that occurred when they were in the same building as others. Schools will find all sorts of ways to find people responsible for things they only had a very minor participation in (aka being in the same house during a party as the underage kids).

But OP, don't call any schools until a final and set in stone decision has been made and it somehow affects your status of not having any disciplinary action against you. You might just get a verbal warning that doesn't even go on the record, and there's no use in jeopardizing your status when you have no idea how this situation will turn out just yet.

To each their own, but the people I knew as an undergrad that party almost never did as well as those that did...and a lot of them were "normal"...Not suggesting that one way is right and one is wrong, just a thought.

I think "normal" is being construed differently. Not normal as in "not being socially inept". But normal as in knowing that grades aren't everything. I was in an honors frat, which beat most regular frats at our keg races, and they were the smartest people I knew. Work hard, play hard yo.

Someone mentioned prioritizing though, and in regards to that, whose to say having a party/going out to a party isn't part of prioritizing? You need to make time for yourself, especially after the stress of classes/applying.

OP, I'll say a prayer for you. And then when I find out it's a slap on the wrist, I'll have a drink for you. Good Luck.

OK heres the deal i need some advice ASAP!!!!

I just found out that I am going to be suspended for the rest of this semester, which means I will graduate in December of NEXT year. I have already been accepted to one and possibly two schools. What should I tell them when I disclose this information and how should I grovel to get them not to revoke my acceptances?

-I am going to ask for deferral obviously
-Suspension is NOT going to be on my official transcripts, just 4 W's
-I want to be on the same page as the university and not tell adcoms anything that the university would disagree with (ie that i withdrew because they made me due to behavioral misconduct)

after all of this do you think they will let me defer???

I just found out that I am going to be suspended for the rest of this semester, which means I will graduate in December of NEXT year. I have already been accepted to one and possibly two schools. What should I tell them when I disclose this information and how should I grovel to get them not to revoke my acceptances?

-I want to be on the same page as the university and not tell adcoms anything that the university would disagree with (ie that i withdrew because they made me due to behavioral misconduct)

Yikes!!! That is not good news. Sorry to hear this. I always believe honesty is the best policy because it could catch up with you later, but I'm sure most of you will disagree with me. You better be prepared to say how you learned from it and how you'll spend the semester speaking at dorm rooms and at high schools of the ills against underage drinking and hosting such parties. Good luck!

Jesus christ, I'm not letting any underage girls even get near my fridge for the next nine months :scared::scared:

Maybe you have some family/financial problems to deal with and you're going to have to put this semester on hold, and want next year to put your life in order?

Any way you can make up the classes from this semester through winter/summer to ensure graduating before matriculating? Going on credit overload next semester?

holy stinking crap, they suspended you?!!

Ok, OP, you need to appeal this decision ASAP. I don't know what your school's policies are, so I can't give you specific advice, but you need to make it clear to them that it is crucial that you graduate on time so that you can attend med school. Emphasizing that you have already been accepted will be key. You need to beg mercy with anybody in the admin who will give you a few minutes of their time.

Frankly, an alcohol violation like this shouldn't be grounds for suspension (I call BS on the whole thing) so ask for a lesser punishment. Promise to do community service, give talks about the importance of alcohol awareness, whatever it is that will allow you to graduate on time.

I realize that we all make mistakes in life, but having a party at which a few underage students obtained alcohol should not potentially keep you out of med school (which this quite possibly could, at least for a while). Get a lawyer, or at least speak to one, if you can.

Good luck, buddy.

Unfortunately I go to a private christian school where the rules are very harsh. The have been cracking down this year big time and the precedents they have set already are much harsher than the punishment we received. The appeal process would be a puppet show, I already met with the administrator in charge of that and he said that we really dont have any grounds for appeal with how the disciplinary process works. Im going to work with my pre-med advisor to inform the schools i have been accepted to about the situation. Im not sure how im going to tell the schools that I have interviews scheduled for yet...

You need to quit letting them slap you around and lawyer up NOW!

Get a Lawyer, and make it a good one. Don't let the school ruin your future because of draconian anti-drinking laws.

Yeah I agree with the previous two posters get a Lawyer.

Get a Lawyer, and make it a good one. Don't let the school ruin your future because of draconian anti-drinking laws.

The problem with this is it's a private school. Since it's a Christian school it probably had some sort of code of conduct or something that he probably signed before going to school...therefore, he was "under" contract and broke it.

The problem with this is it's a private school. Since it's a Christian school it probably had some sort of code of conduct or something that he probably signed before going to school...therefore, he was "under" contract and broke it.

I'm no expert (trying talking with Law2DOC) but I'm pretty sure there's ways to argue whether he should be held accountable or violated said contract.

the law is the law private colleges must obey the same laws of the state that others obey "even more so on some issues". Lawyer up now! I repeat Lawyer up now!

the law is the law private colleges must obey the same laws of the state that others obey "even more so on some issues". Lawyer up now! I repeat Lawyer up now!

The law is the law? Meaning that a private college can't have their students agree to a code of ethics before attending, which if broken, carries certain consequences?

What law is the college breaking?

The law is the law? Meaning that a private college can't have their students agree to a code of ethics before attending, which if broken, carries certain consequences?

What law is the college breaking?

Even if what you say is true, it is still important to seek the advice of a good lawyer. There may be options and such available to you that only someone with a strong background in these types of cases will know about. I'd react quickly and try to get this resolved in a way that isn't as detrimental to you and getting a lawyer with experience in these types of cases is likely going to be of benefit. It would be good to at least try.

you are entitled to certain rights as a citizen of this country making an example out of a student for drinking and being at a party doesnt sound as if the college is applying the right to due process to me.

Dude, this is whack, chuck is such a douche. Do you have his email? I wanna tell him what a douche he is. I was at your yak. and kc interview. This sucks, i hope it works out.

you are entitled to certain rights as a citizen of this country making an example out of a student for drinking and being at a party doesnt sound as if the college is applying the right to due process to me.

He said himself that he got off easier than others that were used to make an example. Due process? The person in question isn't denying that he made a mistake, he just doesn't like the punishment.

He said himself that he got off easier than others that were used to make an example. Due process? The person in question isn't denying that he made a mistake, he just doesn't like the punishment.

well said. i did sign a contract when i came to this school and there is really no chance this will be revoked. getting a lawyer is not something I want to do, ive thought a lot about it and its not going to happen.

on a lighter note im still graduating in may because I changed from biochemistry to biology and can fulfill all of the requirements. hopefully this will help my case a bit..

well said. i did sign a contract when i came to this school and there is really no chance this will be revoked. getting a lawyer is not something I want to do, ive thought a lot about it and its not going to happen.

on a lighter note im still graduating in may because I changed from biochemistry to biology and can fulfill all of the requirements. hopefully this will help my case a bit..

Good for you, then it's all going to work out anyway...only you get some time off before you have to study again! :)

ok I guess I'm wrong for giving the advice that he should seek professional legal help not a bunch of pre meds on internet. regardless of if he did it or not the contract he signed can be wildly interpreted by schools. best of luck when you go to give your final transcript to med school and it shows that you were disciplined by school and basically said you were guilty by not fighting it.

Didn't you say that it wouldn't be on your record?

ok I guess I'm wrong for giving the advice that he should seek professional legal help not a bunch of pre meds on internet. regardless of if he did it or not the contract he signed can be wildly interpreted by schools. best of luck when you go to give your final transcript to med school and it shows that you were disciplined by school and basically said you were guilty by not fighting it.

You should probably read what he has been saying. Its NOT going on his permanent transcripts. The school is going to know BEFORE he turns in the transcripts when he tells them about what happened.