Disciplinary Action & Acceptance on the SAME DAY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good for you, then it's all going to work out anyway...only you get some time off before you have to study again! :)

Ha! yea for sure. at least i went out with a bang. the morning of the day i found out my punishment i got a 95 on my biochem midterm...not that it matters anymore :D. im drafting a sappy letter to send to the schools, and the associate vice president for student life stepped forward to write a letter on my behalf to supplement my own attesting to my quality involvement at the university and how impressed he was with how we handled the situation. hopefully the colleges will be able to see everyone makes mistakes in life and that i learned a crapload from this..say a little prayer for me, this is probably the most important letter ive ever written!

You should probably read what he has been saying. Its NOT going on his permanent transcripts. The school is going to know BEFORE he turns in the transcripts when he tells them about what happened.

well said.

Members don't see this ad.

i am tired of this thread. i am someone who has been a educator (public and college) for 7 years and i cannot believe you people advising this guy based upon partial facts. yes he posted a short description of his situation. it is far from complete and i dont fault the guy for that. what i do fault is everybody who is telling him that his future med school will just write this off and he will be ok. he now has four or five w's and has to change his major.
slam me if you want but i will not post on this thread again one thing the op should consider is if your slot comes open someone on this site could step into your spot. do not give away what you have worked so hard to get you should fight like hell to keep your spot you have earned it.

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefully the colleges will be able to see everyone makes mistakes in life

Yes, attending a private Christian school with Draconian rules and Torquemada for a Dean is rarely a good idea.

The penalty is too harsh unless you were knowingly serving alcohol to minors.

The penalty is also too harsh for a first time code violation even if there is a zero alcohol tolerance.

Unless there a re eyewitnesses re you being inebriated and or serving alcohol to minors, the school is at risk for a major lawsuit.

That been said, If you reapply to medskule with 4 W's and an excuse of a disciplinary action, yo would not have a hope in hell in getting accepted to many schools.

GET a LAWYER

Well I fought like hell to make sure I graduated on time, was honest with everyone, and took my suspension. I was just notified from one of the schools today that I am still ACCEPTED!!! So, what did I learn from this?

-Lawyers are not always the answer (especially since I clearly violated conduct that specifically mandated the punishment we received)...man up and show some integrity
-TELL THE TRUTH and be forward. A big reason they let me keep the acceptance is because I was honest and told them up front
-Follow the rules, regardless whether you agree with them or not..it would have saved a lot of headache

Thanks for all the advice and support everyone!

C/O 2013 here I come!!!

Well I fought like hell to make sure I graduated on time, was honest with everyone, and took my suspension. I was just notified from one of the schools today that I am still ACCEPTED!!! So, what did I learn from this?

-Lawyers are not always the answer (especially since I clearly violated conduct that specifically mandated the punishment we received)...man up and show some integrity
-TELL THE TRUTH and be forward. A big reason they let me keep the acceptance is because I was honest and told them up front
-Follow the rules, regardless whether you agree with them or not..it would have saved a lot of headache

C/O 2013 here I come!!!

Congrats, that's great news. Way to man up and take the high road.

C/O 2013 here I come!!!

You learned the wrong lesson. Fool. You could have really shot yourself in the foot, but lucked out.

You should have gotten the advice of a lawyer.

Whatever. You probably made this up anyway.

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Your school's policy does indeed sound draconian. LOL at some of the comments above ("Torquemada for a Dean" etc.)!

I would tend to agree with some of the comments above that you should have considered seeing a lawyer, not necessarily to threaten the school and/or try to get them to change their decision, but more to help you understand what all your options were, legally speaking. You have to understand that the school is going to do what is best for the school...not necessarily what is best for you. And the school has its own agenda. The advantage of having a lawyer is that he/she is trained in contract law, in seeing/understanding different viewpoints, and is someone objective as far as your particular situation goes. Neither you, your family or friends, or the school's "residency life" or disciplinary people are objective.

It sounds like the med school decided to be reasonable in this situation, which is good. Everyone makes mistakes. I can understand if you had been trying to get underage people drunk and take advantage of them, etc., but for a party with some friends that just went a little further than you expected (with nobody harmed, etc.) the punishment indeed seems harsh.

You learned the wrong lesson. Fool. You could have really shot yourself in the foot, but lucked out.

lol

why did you even post, and why would i make this up? as for luck, yea i had some on my side, but the adcoms i have talked to seemed to have appreciated the way this was handled. What wrong lesson do you infer that I have learned here, showing rectitude? I would sure as hell hope that my doctors in the future have integrity. Maybe I should have asked a lawyer about my options, but I really dont see the situation changing much. You have no idea how many good things have come out of this situation by simply telling the truth and being up front with people. You may say Im foolish, but I certainly saved a lot of cash if nothing else in not hiring a lawyer, and Im still headed to med school.

I'm glad it worked out for you.
Your school's policy does indeed sound draconian. LOL at some of the comments above ("Torquemada for a Dean" etc.)!

I would tend to agree with some of the comments above that you should have considered seeing a lawyer, not necessarily to threaten the school and/or try to get them to change their decision, but more to help you understand what all your options were, legally speaking. You have to understand that the school is going to do what is best for the school...not necessarily what is best for you. And the school has its own agenda. The advantage of having a lawyer is that he/she is trained in contract law, in seeing/understanding different viewpoints, and is someone objective as far as your particular situation goes. Neither you, your family or friends, or the school's "residency life" or disciplinary people are objective.

It sounds like the med school decided to be reasonable in this situation, which is good. Everyone makes mistakes. I can understand if you had been trying to get underage people drunk and take advantage of them, etc., but for a party with some friends that just went a little further than you expected (with nobody harmed, etc.) the punishment indeed seems harsh.

well noted. thanks for the respectful advice.

why did you even post, and why would i make this up? as for luck, yea i had some on my side, but the adcoms i have talked to seemed to have appreciated the way this was handled. What wrong lesson do you infer that I have learned here, showing rectitude? I would sure as hell hope that my doctors in the future have integrity. Maybe I should have asked a lawyer about my options, but I really dont see the situation changing much. You have no idea how many good things have come out of this situation by simply telling the truth and being up front with people. You may say Im foolish, but I certainly saved a lot of cash if nothing else in not hiring a lawyer, and Im still headed to med school.

Maybe if the school didn't respond so favorably you'd see my point.

Don't confuse stupidity with integrity.

fool? making this up? lay off dude, he just got some good news. whats the point in trying to slam him?

Maybe if the school didn't respond so favorably you'd see my point.

Don't confuse stupidity with integrity.

stupidity? Im pulling the troll card. What gives man?

stupidity? Im pulling the troll card. What gives man?

meh, whatever. Maybe I used too strong a tone. I'm a lawyer and I need business.