Disciplinary action and med school admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
how would plagiarism be viewed at a top med school for prospective applicants. If my g.p.a, MCAT were high and volunteered a lot, how much of a chance would I still have? What about for lower ranked schools

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances would be almost none for any medical school.
What'd you do? how long ago was it?

Your chances would be almost none for any medical school.
What'd you do? how long ago was it?
Would I still need to report if it does not show up on my record

Members don't see this ad :)
Would I still need to report if it does not show up on my record
Yes, unless you want to risk getting booted out of med school half way through with tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars in debt and no career prospects.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, unless you want to risk getting booted out of med school half way through with tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars in debt and no career prospects.
How would med schools find out you did something that did not show up on your record

How would med schools find out you did something that did not show up on your record
Not sure, but it's happened before and it's not worth the risk.

Not sure, but it's happened before and it's not worth the risk.
What is the best thing that I could do as an applicant to overcome this obstacle in my application

What is the best thing that I could do as an applicant to overcome this obstacle in my application
Make sure there are a lot of years between the cheating and your application

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's best to put some time between the event and applying. If you still have a few years before applying it may not be as big a deal but I'd be surprised if it didn't negatively effect you regardless. It won't necessarily keep you out of medical school but it's going to hurt.

Yes, you need to report it.

That I don't know. Are there alternate routes into getting into med school?
Aside from what? Post bac?

There are no back door entrances to US med schools

Are there med schools that don't us the amcas application?

About how many years from the time of the incident would I have to wait for the incident to be considered minuscule?

If I keep reapplying does that increase my chances into getting med school?

Lol @ this thread.

Reactions: 17 users
Lol @ this thread.

Reminds me of an AIM conversation for some reason.

OP - did you go through a formal disciplinary office at your school? Just because something doesn't appear on your transcript doesn't mean it hasn't been recorded by your office of Student Affairs or your school's equivalent.

There is no defined amount of time that you need to wait, but it will help if you engage yourself in activities that show you have learned from your actions.

Also, don't ever cheat again.

If you were caught plagiarizing and your school took disciplinary action against you, I'd be very surprised if it didn't show up on your record...

Honestly this is going to depend a lot on exactly what you plagiarized.
Getting a BS plagiarism IA for a missing citation might not have a big effect.
Lifting entire passages or the entire paper and your dream is over.

Honestly this is going to depend a lot on exactly what you plagiarized.
Getting a BS plagiarism IA for a missing citation might not have a big effect.
Lifting entire passages or the entire paper and your dream is over.
What if it was a one time thing?

Would DO be easier to get into?

If it's anything close to a serious plagiarism IA it doesn't matter (the only exception might be one that's 10+ years old. But even at that it would be an uphill battle and you'd have to prove you've grown beyond a person who would do that)

At the risk of being sarcastic, the best thing to do is not ever be a cheater....schools really hate that
lower mcat, same distrust of cheating
the assumption is now that you only got caught once but did it more

Reactions: 2 users
Quality trolling is now a lost art. For shame

I'd appreciate it if people did not keep putting on rude comments or else I will report you all

Not sure why I'm feeding the troll. Hopefully it'll help other premeds if not OP.

No. MCAT and GPA averages are lower on the osteopathic side, but DO schools care just as much about professionalism.

That helps but doesn't totally get rid of the issue.

No. Schools will wonder why you repeatedly aren't getting in. They also expect major improvement in your application between cycles.

About how many years from the time of the incident would I have to wait for the incident to be considered minuscule?
Enough time for the "I was young and stupid and have learned from my mistakes and it won't happen again" argument to be believable.

You seem very defensive for it to just be a "small thing." It's almost as if your feelings of guilt are making you lash out at people who are only trying to give you honest advice.

If you apply and happen to make it to interviews, I would work on your attitude, tone towards others, and answering questions as thouroughly as possible.

Seems like you have more things to worry about than just plagarism.

Don't listen to them OP. Med schools are perfectly fine taking a cheater into the class over the thousands of other applicants.....who didn't...cheat... wait maybe on the other hand this ain't so good OP. At least you've got a good attitude to go with it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Usually an F for plagiarism comes along with an IA that shows up on your record, triple check that this is the case at your school. In any case, you would want to report it.

Best chance: distance yourself from the event with time. How long? Nobody knows. IAs are very serious, tend to kill apps dead for the more serious part of the spectrum that includes violence and cheating.

Thanks for the rude, childish PM, OP.
I have no sympathy for you. You don't belong in medical school and I hope for all of our sakes that you are never accepted. I would not want you as my doctor or my colleague.

Get out of my forum. You're a complete troll for talking in the first place

You're such a hypocrite. Med school always looks for who are not complete jerks.

I'd appreciate it if people did not keep putting on rude comments or else I will report you all

74d.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Does this incident affect entrance into post bac programs

Yes, they will ask the same questions as AMCAS and AACOMAS. If they find out your cheated and don't report it they'll boot you from their program, which will be the final nail in the coffin for any hopes of being a physician.

You're such a hypocrite. Med school always looks for who are not complete jerks.

There's no hypocrisy in that post and it's all accurate otherwise LizzyM, the local admissions committee member wouldn't have agreed with him. You've screwed yourself with the plagiarism, and many schools will throw your application straight into the reject pile. You can still try and apply, but I'd start looking at plans B, C, and D a lot more seriously now.

You're not getting in, sorry. Find another career. If you plagiarized, you don't deserve it anyway.

Was there any IA? Does any record of it exist at all?

"Institutional Action
You must answer Yes to this question if you were ever the recipient of any institutional
action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw. You must answer Yes even if the action does not appear on or has been deleted or expunged from your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition."
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf

I'll use this as a teaching moment. Overt plagiarism is lethal. Forgetting about citations, or being lazy about your sources, maybe not. I have seen people get LORs fromt he very professors who dinged them for such infractions, and this helped them ameliorate the problem.
how would plagiarism be viewed at a top med school for prospective applicants. If my g.p.a, MCAT were high and volunteered a lot, how much of a chance would I still have? What about for lower ranked schools

My school has seen this happen, and acted accordingly: LOR writer puts into LOR: "Erus has grown so much as a student since the plagiarism incident".

Years of exemplary behavior, preferably in positions of responsibility. Military service, teaching, finance, for example.

It does at mine. Our mindset is "why should we take a chance on this kid when there are some many others who didn't do this?"
Does this incident affect entrance into post bac programs

Nope.
Are there easier ways to get into med school in general?

Nope.
That I don't know. Are there alternate routes into getting into med school?

DO schools use AACOMAS, but we ask many of the same questions on the Primary, including language similar to what the wise gyngyn posted above.
Are there med schools that don't us the amcas application?

3-5 years. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Nope.

Doesn't matter. My clinician colleagues take cheating very serious. they know that dishonest doctors start out as dishonest students.

Nope. Just because our standards for stats are lower than MD schools doesn't me we high a higher tolerance of dishonest behavior.

True, but we hold ALL applicants to high ethical standards.
Med school always looks for who are not complete jerks.

Reactions: 7 users