Discouraged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R1krazy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a little background: BCPM 2.7, undergrad cum 3.01 graduate 3.91(Doctorate of Physical Therapy) I have an enormous amount of EC including TA gross anatomy and 2 other classes, health care expereince for 5 years.

I am missing general chem 2, general physics 2, general bio, organic chem, so i applied to the basic post bac programs insted of a SMP.

Unfortunately i was not successful with my applications to the typicals: goucher, bryn mawr, tufts, nyu, and johns hopkins.

I was accepted to the university of vermont post bac program which boasts high matriculation rates (85-90%), but i have not heard anyone discuss them in the forums or have feedback. This concerns me because i feel it may not be a good program if others are not looking into it. Are they a decent program? Do people dislike them? Or is their program not respected. I would be an out of state student so the tuition is rediculous, but this is something i really want to do.

I just dont want to waste my time, money, or previous profession PT to run into problems later on.

I am still waiting to hear from Drexel PMED and UConn.

Any recommendations drexel vs uconn vs uvm?

Any general tips, encouragement, or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!
D

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get into those programs, but don't let that get you down! Hopefully UConn or Drexel will pull through. I haven't heard anything about the VT program, but I took a peek at their website, and the matriculation rate they list is a little deceptive -- that includes all programs, not just med school. One thing you should consider is that you'll probably need more than one year of coursework to raise your GPA to a competitive level, but it seems that you've applied to mostly one-year programs. Even with a stellar MCAT, you're better off with a GPA that's benefitted from more credits (and straight As!) than merely completing your pre-reqs will give you. (But that's just my humble opinion.)

If you're intent on starting ASAP, you might want to look at Harvard Extension, which I think offers Chem 2 and Physics 2 each spring. Plus, it's super cheap and open enrollment. Anyway, good luck :)

Thanks for the reply! I have had a phone interview with UVM and they are set up to do the program as needed 1 year 2 years or 3 years, so i will be able to take as many classes that are needed there. Their explaination for students going into the other programs was because it was determined to be the correct decision for the individual.

How come this program seems concerning to people?

Thank you for your input anything else would be greatly appreciated.